Chapter 21

"Awh, aren't you two the sweetest thing. Now let's get moving," Chad says. "Wow way to ruin the moment," Joey says.

I walk outside with Alan's arm slung around me. "Hey, anybody want Chick-Fil-A?" Caleb asks. "Sure beats hospital food," Alan chuckles.

"Ride with me, kid," Caleb says. I turn to Alan, "See you in a bit, bro. Love you." He kisses my head, "Love you too, pretty girl."

I walk with Caleb to his car, and get in the front seat. "Why did you want me to ride with you?" I ask. "I want you to tell me the truth. Why don't you want to sleep?"

"I had a nightmare," I admit, "about Alan dying. I didn't want to leave his side to come with you. I don't want him to get hurt again."

"And you're afraid if you fall asleep you'll have another nightmare?" He asks, keeping his eyes on the road. "Yeah," I say softly.

Caleb pulls into the Chick-Fil-A parking lot. I get out of his car, and run over to Alan. "I'm so glad you're okay," I bury my face in his chest. "Mia, my girl, is everything okay?" He asks, patting my back.

"Al, over here," Caleb says. Alan kisses my head, and walks over to Caleb. I stand, watching him as he walks away, making sure he's still okay.

Alan comes back, and looks at me hard. "Mia, why didn't you tell me?" I stare at my shoes, "I couldn't."

I walk into Chick-Fil-A, staring at my shoes and avoiding Alan. This isn't what I want. I don't want to avoid Alan. I want to be wrapped up in his arms.

"Mia, I'll get you a milkshake, my dear," Alan says. I nod, not making eye contact with him, "Thanks."

He slides me a cookies and cream one. I take the cup, and begin drinking. We leave the restaurant, and go back home. Alan follows me into my room.

He pulls me into his lap, and kisses my head. "We've got to talk, my love," he whispers. "I know Alan, I'm sorry. Sorry about everything," I sigh.

"There's nothing to be sorry about. We just need to sort things out. I need to know that you trust me," he tells me. "I do Alan, I trust you with all I've got," I reply.

"I believe that, beautiful. You ready to talk?" He asks. I nod, "Yes." I tell him about my dream, and current fear to sleep. He holds me close and comforts me for hours. Then, we both want to watch a movie.

"What do you want to watch?" He asks me. "I'm in a Beauty and the Beast mood, you up for it?" I reply, grinning. He nods, "Yep, come on sweetheart."

We pull it from a pile of DVDs, and pop it in the player. At the sound of the intro music, the three girls run into the living room. "Can we watch?" Presley asks. Alan nods, "Sure kids, climb up here on Daddy's lap."

I watch in awe as the three little girls get on the couch. Presley on one knee, Rowe on the other, and AJ clinging to his arm from his right side. I move in a little closer on his left, and put my head on his shoulder, feeling myself drifting off.

"Night princess, I'll be here when you wake up," Alan whispers, kissing my forehead.

~*~

I wake up in tears. I had another nightmare, that's why I didn't want to go to sleep. "Alan!" I call out aimlessly. "Right here, angel, what is it?" He asks me.

"I had another bad dream. You died. I can't sleep anymore," I cry out. Alan strokes my hair, "It's okay my dear, I'm not gone. I'm right here."

"It just felt so real." The sobs rack my body, coming from the depths of soul. My body trembles and shakes as my tears flow down my face. Alan's strong arm is put around my waist, and he pulls me into his lap.

Alan doesn't say anything, he just buries his face in my hair, thinking, hoping, and praying. The tears won't stop flowing from my eyes, staining Alan's shirt. Neither of us mind. I take the sleeve to my hoodie and wipe my face.

"I'm right here, Mia, it's okay," Alan coos, feeling my body begin to tremble again. "I never want to sleep again," I decide.

"You have to sleep darling, and you will sleep again," Alan informs me. "I can't, I can't keep having these dreams where you die. You're my best friend Alan, there's no other way to describe how I feel about you. I can't imagine my life without you. I'd still be bullied. You saved me, Big Al," I cry.

"Oh Mia," he says softly, "you're the sweetest, bravest, strongest chic I know." I smile through the tears, "So now I'm a chic? You might now want to let Brycie hear that."

Alan rubs my back, "I love you, little chic." I throw my arms around his neck, the tears stopping, "I love you too, best friend." I lay my head on his chest, and sigh, "Sing to me, Alan. Anything, just sing."

He chuckles before softly singing the song Walk By Faith by Jeremy Camp. I smile at him, and once it's over he pats my hand. "I want you to stay strong kid, cuz it's that kind of faith that moves mountain," he says softly, "Mia, my girl, you're going to move mountains."

"I used to wonder why you, Alan Powell, singer in my favorite band, and movie actor would want me to live with him. The more I've lived here, the more I realize your more than just the wise, caring Alan the fans see. You've adopted me into your family. You treat me like you treat your own girls. You spoil me, are overprotective of me, but most importantly you love me and that's all that matters. I'm not good about getting my feelings across, but I hope you got the message, Alan," I sigh, thinking about when Caleb and I discussed our favorite things about Alan.

Alan nods, "Thank you for saying that. I couldn't have chosen a better little girl to be part of my family." I grin, "And I couldn't have chosen a better second family."