Chapter 16: Letters Speak Louder

A/N at the end.

“So when you're cold
From the inside out
And don't know what to do,
Remember love and friendship, 
And warmth will come to you.” 
― Stephen Cosgrove

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My father has been dead for ten years, Indy.

I don't think I breathed for ten seconds. Or more. I don't know.

His father was dead?

Oh, Lord. How did I not know this before? Had I been so self-involved that I had not even bothered to ask him this? Then again, he wasn't exactly Mr. I'll-tell-you-everything-you-want-to-know.

I sighed. But...I still hadn't asked.

"Nate.." I started, at loss for words to say.

But at the exact moment his damn phone rang. That was one interrupting piece of technology. It was really starting to annoy me. Wasn't there a single moment where it doesn't ring. I was never going to get an opportunity to talk to him about this. I needed to speak to him about this. This is getting so crazy. We knew stuff about each other. Sure..but we didn't know everything. What would we be if we only depended on the bond for everything. The bond may enhance every emotion we feel, but it sure as hell doesn't tell me everything I need to know about him. We didn't seem to have time around to talk to each other. What was the next best option?

My eyes widened.

Of course! I knew exactly what to do. We could-

"Hey. We're going down to practice in the field...would you like to come with me?" Nathan asked, turning to look at me.

I nodded, enthusiastically.

He held up a finger, indicating that I should wait and that he'd be a minute and walked towards his closet.

"Hey, how about I meet you there? I've got something I want to bring." I said to his retreating back. He turned to give me an undecided look.

"I'll not be long I swear. I'll be connected through the bond anyway...you'll know if I'm in trouble."

Nathan sighed and nodded. I started to step towards the door.

"If you make someone follow me, I'll hurt you." I said over my shoulder.

He snorted behind me.

Thankfully no one followed, but Nate was constantly in contact through the bond, the tiger pacing and the man beyond restless. I rolled my eyes and walked in on a really seriously hot make out session between my roommate and her mate.

I cleared my throat really loudly.

"I'm in the room. Can you tone down the PG-13 please?" I asked.

They ignored me.

"Ew ew ew ew ew." I said and continued to do so as I took whatever I needed to and got out of there like a chick with its tail on fire.

After asking directions to anyone and everyone along the way, I found my way to the gigantic round field with bleachers in the circumference.

Funnily the first thing I thought of was a game played on broom sticks by a kid with a scar on his forehead. This field put that one to shame.

I stopped short.