Chapter 32: The Revelation

It's so dark right now, I can't see any light around me. 
That's because the light is coming from you. You can't see it but everyone else can.” 
― Lang Leav, Love & Misadventure

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke to a throbbing pain at the back of my skull.

I pried my eyelids open and blinked to clear my blurry vision.

My hands were tied to the back of a metal chair, the sides digging into my skin. It wasn't helping that I was wearing the bracelet that Nathan gave me. My legs were tied as well.

I looked around in the dim room. It looked like some garage, the smell of engine oil and rubber strong.

What the hell happened?

"I'll tell you what happened." A voice came, as a door opened to my right.

My teeth gritted as I recalled what happened.

"That's right. I screwed you over bad, didn't I?"

I looked up into Maya's hatred filled eyes.

Yes, Maya.

How had I not picked up her emotions? The hatred she was spewing could be detected from The Grand Canyon.

If I were to visit there, that is. This psycho was taking a piss in all my plans.

She sneered at me and pressed a small black remote with a red button. Electric shock travelled through me, bending my back and forcing all thoughts out of my head.

When it stopped, I looked back at Maya, meeting her hateful gaze with one of my own.

"What did I ever do to you?" I asked her, ignoring the quakes shuddering painfully through my body.

Maya waved her hand in the air dismissively and I wanted to lift this chair and stuff it down her oesophagus.

"Nothing personal. Actually. Yes, it is. My grandparents were killed by your kind."

"Good thing too," I said, "They don't have to see the bitch you've turned into."

That's right. I swore.

For that smart ass response, I was subjected to a bucket of cold water followed by electric shocks that rattled me out of my skin and ripped a scream out of me.

I blinked my wet lashes and looked at her.

"Punishing me for the death of your grandparents won't bring them back." I said, then widened my eyes in mock shock "Unless Rumpestiltskin told you otherwise. Even I would believe it then. Though you might wanna be careful. I hear he has a thing for first borns."

Another shock later, my head started pounding and my heart rate was through the roof. My eyes were watering and my body wanted to shut down.

"No, you're right. It won't bring them back, but it'll sure as hell avenge their deaths if all you parasites are dead and off the Earth."

I don't see anyone torturing mosquitoes like this woman was torturing me. Last time I checked the rate of deaths because of mosquito were higher than those because of Empaths.

"What's with the whole parasite thing?" I asked, narrowing my eyes. Ruby had called me that, that ill-fated day that Flynn attempted suicide.

Or did he?