Chapter 34: Asking For Normal Is Too Much

"Truly living required risk.” 

― Gena Showalter, Alice in Zombieland

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who ever said that sleeping could also be harmful? Some psychiatric councillor (my mom) said that sleeping sometimes means that you’re trying to escape your real world and soon your body will ask for it continuously and something something and in the end you get depressed.

I strongly disagree. Sleeping is amazing.

Especially when you’re nook-ing with your boyfriend/mate.

Oh how perfect.

 Especially when his intoxicating scent of spice and the woods invaded me and drugged my senses.

Oh yeah. I was like Super-sniffer/hearer!

I don’t know how the both of us fit on this bed, but I’m so glad he hadn’t left. I was still half-asleep but I could feel his heart beat beating in my chest alongside mine. Slow and steady, almost drugging me back to sleep.

“You should go back to sleep.” Nathan murmured in my ear, his warm husky voice invading my want-to-go-back-to-sleep stupor and waking me up fully.

I grunted in response.

Not very ladylike, but really, I didn’t give a damn.

Slowly, everything came back to me and I let out a breath.

“I can feel your heart beat,” I murmured.

He snorted. “You’re lying on me, I’d be surprised if you couldn’t hear my heart beat.”

I opened my eyes to glare at him and promptly shut them and snuggled in with him again.

“No, I mean I can feel your heart beat in me.”

He made a ‘hmm’ noise, pressing me closer to him.

“I’m assuming that is normal…” I prompted.

“The Mark works in mysterious ways.” Nathan said.

I sighed.

Couldn’t he give a straight darn answer?

Kicking him in the leg I growled. “Tell me.”

He laughed.

“The Marking manifests differently. For us, you can feel my heart beat-”

“And hear, smell and see the way you do.” I added.

He stilled for a minute in surprise before he continued.

“And I can tap into your powers.” He finished proudly.

I gasped and sat up, almost falling off the bed.

“I knew it!” I exclaimed “You totally used my own powers on me when we were in the bathroom.”

He leaned forward, pressing a kiss to my cheek.

“I like how that sounded, ‘when we were in the bathroom’.” He whispered into my ear.

Shuddering, I glared at him.

“Oh stop trying to distract me. Did you build walls?” I asked.

He shook his head.

“It doesn’t work that way,” he said “I can ‘borrow’ your power whenever I want and utilize it on only one person.”