Chapter Thirteen

My back pressed into the bark of a tree out in the woods. Despite the cold, my body was burning with anxiety. Even though this was a training exercise, the actions extrapolated by me would determine if I could actually go up against members of the dark clan in the event of a face to face confrontation.

It was like a game of Hide-and-Seek. Lani, Cassia and I were the ones being hunted by Aiden and Cade–who were acting like members of the 'Dark Clan'. In doing so, they could evince how the Dark Clan would behave in similar situations and how I would use my powers and combat skills to effectively protect the Electi.

A fair distance to my right, Lani was also pressed against one of the winter-crested trees. Cassia was closer to me so I could get to her quicker if she was attacked.

A twig broke somewhere close to us. My ears picked up feather-light footsteps approaching. Lani mimicked the whistle of a winter bird and arched her head to indicate the direction of the sound.

I nodded and slowly looked around the tree.

Whoosh!

A fireball sailed towards me. I cried out in pain as it singed my cheeks. I quickly leaned back against the tree panting.

Another one sailed towards the tree Cassia was standing behind. It hit the branches and they came crashing down on her.

Without demur, I quickly dashed over to where she was. I almost didn't see the impending ball of fire until an orb of water crashed into it. It died out with a sizzle.

"Thanks," I crouched beside the Electi,"You Ahite?"

"Yeah..." She breathed,"Look..."

Lani let out a shriek as Cade appeared behind her.

She spun around and outstretched her hands towards the tree. The branches extended, curled and snaked towards him. He disappeared through time(or teleported as some would say) before they could wrap around his body.

A hand suddenly hooked around my neck and pulled me away from the Electi. I thrashed against the hold and grabbed onto his robust arms. From the feel of those muscles, I could tell it was Aiden. I dug my fingers into his flesh and eased my body up. Both feet ascended in harmony and locked around his neck. I brought him down with a thud to the snow-covered earth. He shot up and so did I. My eyes flew to his hands as they lit up in flames. We charged at each other at the same time.

Bands of fire coursed towards me and I onerously tried to block them.

One hit me right on the leg.

I fell to the ground in pain but didn't give up.

Stones.

Stones from the ground rose into the air and bonded to make one large, compact ball of earth.

It lunged towards him but he ducked. I didn't allow them to break away though. They came at him again from behind. Before it could crush him though, I made them disperse then bond again; but this time he was stuck inside the ball.

I grinned at my victory as he struggled inside it. If he had heated it, he would have just burnt himself alive. A ghost of a smile dwindled on his lips but as usual, he composed himself and just nodded in approval.

"Good job," Lani ran up to me grinning.

I was about to fistpump the air when a glass case appeared around me.

It was one of Cade's illusions. Even though I knew it wasn't real, I couldn't help feeling terrified as the glass walls began to close in on me. I pressed my hands against the glass in an attempt to stop it from moving but it didn't.