Dandelions (Dramatic)

Characters:
Dan
Amanda

This play captures four moments in the lives of our deuteragonists. Pre-k, Teenage, Adult, And Elderly

(Lights go ups as the audience sees kids running around laughing and playing during recess. Center stage there are two girls. One named Amanda and the other Jessica, a bully. She pushes Amanda down, points o laughs, then walks away with a Barbie doll that belongs to Amanda. Amanda remains on the ground crying, and I'd seen by Dan. He goes up to her and sits down.)

Dan: What's wrong Mandy?
Amanda: My name is Amanda! Jessica pushed me down because I wouldn't let her play with my Barbie, and now she stole it.
Dan: (Looks to the right and finds a Dandelion, picks it up and hands it to Amanda) Well my grandma always told me if you make a wish, close your eyes, and blow on a dandelion; your wish will come true. You should try it
(Amanda takes the flower and wishes for her doll back. She closes her eyes and blows on the dandelion. While her eyes are closed Dan runs off stage. Amanda opens her eyes and sees that Dan is gone. She looks down at the ground. All of a sudden a Barbie doll lands beside her. Dan walks back on stage as Amanda's face lights up.)
Amanda: My Barbie! Where did you get this?
Dan: I asked Jessica for it. And when she said no I took it from her and ran.
Amanda: You know what kid? You're alright.
Dan: I told you. These dandelions are magical.

(Lights Fade)

(Amanda and Dan are now having a picnic. They are now teenagers who appeared to be around 16. There laughing as light start to go up. Amanda receives a text and looks to see who it is, it's her ex-boyfriend Brad. She smiles)
Dan: Who is it?
Amanda: Oh...um...Brad...my ex.
Dan: Him again?
Amanda: Why don't you like him Dan? He's actually really sweet.
Dan: Will if he so sweet maybe you should go and date him again! (Dan turns away from Amanda)
Amanda: Dan (Dan ignores her) Dan, I went out with you because I love you. I made a wish that I'd find someone who would always make me feel special. And Dan......(She pauses and picks up the dandelion than hands it to Dan) And like a dandelion you made my wish come true.
Dan: (Text the dandelion, closes his eyes, and blows on it.)
Amanda: What did you wish for?
Dan: I wished that I didn't never lose the best thing that's ever happened to me.
Amanda: (Smiles and leans her head on Dan's shoulder)

(Lights Fade)

(We find our to protagonists in their adult years. They are married and have two children, both babies. Both are crying loudly. Dan and Amanda are trying their best to calm them down.)
Dan: (Trying to rock both babies in his arms) Where are there pacifiers?
Amanda: How should I know? I'm the mother; you know the one who gave birth to these creatures, you're supposed to keep up with everything.
Dan: Well excuse me for being the father; you know the one that pays the bills.
Amanda: Well did you carry them for nine months in your stomach?
Dan: No, but I did carry the house payment.
Amanda: You know what you're so full of it sometimes.
Dan: And do you know what? Sometimes you are a pain in the a...
Amanda: Stop it right there! Just give me a second. (Amanda goes off stage and walks in with a dandelion.)
Dan: Are you kidding me?
Amanda: It worked in the past.
Dan: You mean to tell me you still believe this flower is going to do something for you?
Amanda: (Ignores Dan. She makes a wish, closes her eyes, and blows on the flower.)
Dan: This is ridiculous! I'm going into the living room! (Exits stage right)
Amanda: (Sighs. All of a sudden the crying stops)
Dan: I found them.
Amanda: Found What?
Dan: The pacifiers they were on the table the TV stand the whole time. (Has a moment of realization) Wait what did you wish for?
Amanda: Take a wild Guess (She walks off stage. Dan hurries after her.)

(Lights Fade)

(As the lights go up we see Amanda, now an old lady, in a bed with medical equipment around and attached to her. Dan is in the wings on stage left, he too is old. Amanda is reading a magazine. Dan walks on from stage left holding papers in a jar and a container full of dandelions. The audience shouldn't be able to see the dandelions.)
Dan: How are you Mandy ( Amanda looks up then goes back to reading)
Amanda: I do believe your memory has gotten the best of you, my name is Amanda.
Dan: Oh I am quite aware, don't you worry, it just makes me remember what it was like to be young.
Amanda: Unfortunately we can never be as young as we once were.
Dan: That's not true; we can be what ever age we are and once were. When you get out of here...
Amanda: (Trying to interrupt him.) Dan.
Dan: We can go to one of those clubs or...
Amanda: (Still trying to interrupt him) Dan.
Dan: Or go to one of those fancy
Amanda: Dan!
Dan: (Stops and looks at Amanda) Yes?
Amanda: I think we both know I probably won't be leaving this hospital.
Dan: (Looks away and frowns) You'd be correct.
Amanda: I just wish our kids could be here.
Dan: Me too. (He hands Amanda the jar of papers and the container of dandelions)
Amanda: What's this? Paper?
Dan: Well actually it's every wish I made that had you in it.
Amanda: And what's in the container?
Dan: Open and see.
Amanda: (Opens the container and finds two dandelions inside. She gasps.)
Dan: In case you thought you weren't going to leave; I figured we can make one last wish together. (He hands her one of the dandelions)
Amanda: (She looks up and smiles) And what shall we wish then?
Dan: That one day after this life we will be together again. (They close their eyes and make a wish.) Now on 1...2...3. (They blow on the dandelions. Dan takes a piece of paper and pen out of his pocket and writes something on it, then place it in the jar. He looks at Amanda and kisses her on the cheek. Lights fade)

END OF PLAY.