Chapter 4

Exactly a week had passed and Regina hadn't heard from Emma once; in the beginning she put it down to the job promotion keeping the blonde busy but as she week neared Sunday she was forced to remember the guy she had saved Emma from. The week had been long and tiresome for Regina herself with a big company merger being handed to her at the last minute when a fellow lawyer in the firm had quit her job unexpectedly, and on top of Emma being MIA she was downright exhausted.

When Sunday came around, Regina marched into the coffee shop and slammed her hands down on the counter to get the attention of the barista - Laney.

"What can I get for -" she began.

"Where the hell is Emma?" Regina interrupted.

"Look, we haven't seen her since last Sunday. She rang in and quit her job on Monday morning and we haven't heard from her since," Laney said. "She did tell me to pass you a message on though."

"Well?"

Laney searched through the pockets of her brown apron before pulling out a piece of paper, "She said to tell you that she is sorry and it isn't your fault. She also said that you shouldn't worry and that she has to do this so you don't get hurt."

Regina slid a business card over the counter, "If you see her or if she calls, ring this number okay, straight away."

Regina turned around and left the coffee shop as quickly as she had entered. Something niggled at the back of the brunettes mind as she walked back to her own apartment, she felt like she should know where Emma was.

Even though their friendship was in it's early months, Emma wasn't bothered about sharing information about her past. Regina knew that Emma was adopted when she was young, but she was sent back when the couple conceived their own child and ever since she had bounced around the foster care system until she turned 18. She knew Emma had been arrested multiple times as a teenager for petty theft and assault.

When she had reached her apartment the brunette pulled her laptop, paper, pen and phone out and laid them in front of her on the dining table. She began researching Boston and the last group home Emma was in before making a call to the local police station.

"Hello, NYPD how can I help?" the receptionist answered.

"I need to speak with Detective Harold," Regina said.

"What is it concerning?"

"Just put me through, idiot," she snapped. There was a beeping sound before another phone was answered.

"Detective Harold, what can I do for you," a woman said.

"Kelly, it's Regina. Remember that favor you owe me? I'm cashing it in."

"What can I do for you, Regina?" she asked.

"I need you to find out as much on Emma Swan for me as you can. She went missing a week ago, and I'm pretty sure her ex had something to do with it. She bounced around the Boston foster system most of her life, and she has a record so she should come up on your system."

"I'll do as much as I can for you, and I'll ask the force to keep an eye out for her."

***

Two days after her short conversation with Detective Harold, Regina was in her office completing her nightly paper work when her intercom buzzed. When she answered Kate told her that Kelly was there to see her.

"Can I get you a tea or coffee," Kate asked the women.

"I'll have a bottle of water please," Kelly said.