Chapter 7

A/N: I don't normally do this at the beginning of a chapter, but I just wanted to say that I tried to write the trial but because I know so little of what actually happens inside a court room, I didn't want to mess it up so I kinda skipped it. Sorry for those who wanted it... Anyway, enjoy the chapter! 

~~~

Saturday, 27th November 2004.

It was around 9am on a cold November morning and Regina sat in the visiting room of Albion Correctional Facility. For the first time since her sentencing two weeks ago she was allowed visitors, and Regina wasted no time pre-booking her place. She looked around at all the other families that were already having a conversation with their loved one. Something pulled at Regina's heartstrings when she realized that Emma was the closest thing she had to family.

"Hi," Emma said as she sat down opposite Regina. She wore an orange jumpsuit that washed her out completely and made her look sick.

"Hey, how are you?"

"Pregnant."

"You are?" Regina said.

"Yeah, had an ultrasound the day after I got here," she said with a sad smile. "They told me I should get rid of it, but after Madison I can't."

Two weeks ago in court Emma had pleaded guilty to the possession and dealing of drugs, but because of Fin and how he had forced her into his operation her sentence had reduced from 5 years to 18 months, but if the blonde could be out in a year with good behavior. Emma had to think carefully about what she was going to do with her child, she knew there was no way in hell she could have an abortion, it was against everything she believed.

"What are you going to do?" Regina asked.

"I don't know, but hell I've got 8 months to think about it," she laughed.

***

Monday, 20th December 2004.

It was five days before Christmas Day and Emma was sitting in her cell reading a book when the door opened. She was handed a brown package something she wasn't used to. No one had ever sent her a package before, and she had a pretty good idea who had sent this one. She looked in the small box and there was a few toiletries, two books and some Christmas sweets. At the bottom she saw a white envelope with her name on, so she opened it carefully and read it's contents;

Hi Emma,

I'm sorry I can't visit right now. Work is hectic, people don't stop committing crimes for Christmas. I think that crime rates actually go up by 20% or something like that... not that you're bothered. I hope everything is okay and no one is bothering you. How is the pregnancy? I'm writing this on the eleventh, but I'm not sure when you'll get it. I hope they let you have your present.
Nothing is the same without you, I go to the coffee place that you used to work at before everything happened. Everyone asks about you but I never know what to say, they all miss you too. I miss you, more than I probably should.
Remember that time you took me to your friends party, his name was Jack, Jake or something. They were all excited that you were actually doing something other than working. Well I thought you'd forget about me, let me sit by myself. But you didn't, you made sure everyone knew who I was and what a hard-ass lawyer I am. No one has ever done that for me before.
I don't know how they do Christmas over there, but I hope you have a nice day. It'll just be me and Lola for another year, maybe next year will be different.
Stay safe, Emma.

- Regina.

***

Thursday, 23rd December 2004.