Chapter 6: Life, Life, Oh and, More Life...

Life, Life, Oh and, More Life…

You could tell, easily, that Jake had been stressed all morning with having to deal with all the regular work stuff and worrying about the details of the current situation. Surprisingly enough, he didn’t have a mental breakdown like I thought he would.

I had a bad feeling about the whole thing, though. Maybe he has a good reason for her. If you really think about it, the fact that they got to him so easy and beat him up, it would be even easier to get to his sister. Maybe they might be able to get past whoever Rifenz sent to guard her. Unfortunately, I might find the answer soon enough.

It’s been three days since the mayor died. The days are going to be depressing, but things have to go on, even if they drag on. It may not be the greatest thing “to hit Broadway”, but it works. I have to keep an eye on Jake because it seems like every day he slips deeper and deeper into depression. It seemed like he was moving farther away from every one each day. That’s when I learned that Jake’s “sister” adopted him when he was nine years old.

Jake and I were in his room when Rifenz walked in with a-not-so-satisfying face. “Jake, I’m afraid my men weren’t enough to keep them from your sister,” Rifenz confessed. “Where’d she go? What happened to her?” Jake was obviously on a “fishing expedition” even though he already knew the answer; we all knew the answer. “They killed her, left no forensic evidence, and named you next if you don’t meet their demands,” Rifenz finally finished.

Jake left and returned to his quarters and no one saw him for a few hours. Everything was becoming intense, especially when the whole city was on lock-down. We’re all on edge trying to figure out how to end it all without the obvious choice of suicide. I stayed in the police headquarters trying to help as best as I could. “We need an idea to get all of us out. It’s so crazy and mindboggling,” someone said. “What if we set up a meeting and make a deal?” I asked. “No, that won’t work­­­­­­­­—“ someone else said. “Yeah, that might actually work. But who will go?” Rifenz asked. “I’ll go,” I volunteered

Rifenz agreed. He tried to contact the people who keep threatening us. They said no; of course. So naturally, I decided to scare them into saying yes. And, naturally, that required me going back to my old ways.