Chapter 10: Am I Really That Easy To Read?

Ch 10: Am I Really That Easy To Read?

            For some stupid reason Chase, Jake, and Kale got into a fight that I so happened to walk into. They’ve been having these “random” fights lately. “It’s your fault. If you wouldn’t have hidden in such an obvious spot, he wouldn’t have known something was going on!” Kale was yelling at Jake and you could hear him all across the kitchen/living room/game room floor. They usually started the fights in the kitchen; which this time, I had just woken up. I needed breakfast and a cup of coffee; so, I headed into the kitchen. “Well, if Anna had done her job there—,” Chase began ranting. “Oh, don’t bring me into this, I’m just getting breakfast,” I said trying to prove my innocence, which didn’t work as well as I’d hoped. Kale and Chase began yelling at me, then at each other. After them agreeing to yell at me, I got fed up. “Guys! Shut the hell up. I had nothing to do with it. I was on the top of a building. It’s all on you guys; now shut up! It’s too freaking early in the morning to start this stupid argument!” I finally exclaimed. “Anna, we didn’t mean to blame you—,” Jake started as I cut him off. “I don’t freaking care. Just leave me alone.”

            I left my fully cooked breakfast and ran through the building, onto the roof. I sat on the edge of the building, holding my knees, trying the best I could to hold back the tears that were coming. I couldn’t take the stress of worrying about Jake any more. Especially after he tried to commit suicide. The thought of his sister dying brought back the painful memories, or nightmares, of watching Sarah die again and again.

That day, one hundred years ago, I had just gotten home. I put my school bag in my room, on the floor, when Sarah called up stairs for me to come down and have a snack. I went down stairs and headed straight for the kitchen. Sarah had two delicious but delicate looking peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on blue and white China; on the counter. We both had just sat down, and I had just picked up my sandwich, when someone started to bang something heavy against the front door. Sarah quietly stood up and tip toed to the window next to the door. Slowly opening the curtain as little as possible, she saw a group of teenagers wearing dark looking clothes.

When I started asking questions, Sarah turned around to hush me; then turned back around to get another look at the teens.  Sarah noticed that there was an odd looking-upside-down star on their clothes. That’s when she noticed: those clothes are robes, those stars are pentagrams, and those teens are cultists here to possibly kill both of them. Turning around swiftly, but smoothly, Sarah whispered, “Anna! Hide. Now. No questions just do it!” I did what I was told, but was still wondering.  I hid in the cabinet next to the sink and cracked the door open a bit. The teens’ banging on the door grew unbearably loud with what sounded like metal hitting the door. As soon as Sarah thought I was well hid, she opened the door. The teens rushed in, forcing Sarah to the floor with what looked like a sword. As one of them kept her on the floor, the others searched the house.

After searching the house, one teen brought in 6 black candles and set them in a circle in the middle of the kitchen. Another teen lit the candles. Then they made Sarah step inside of the circle. By this time, both Sarah and I knew what the group was going to do with Sarah; they were going to sacrifice her. I could see everything perfectly from the cabinet as they made Sarah lower her head. I could hear Sarah praying.  I watched as they brought the sword over Sarah’s neck while chanting something in a different language. I turned away just as they brought the sword down. As soon as they stopped chanting, I knew what happened, but looked up anyway. There was blood all over the floor and Sarah’s body lying in the circle, decapitated. I almost burst into tears but remembered, those people will do the same thing to me as they just did to Sarah. They set the house on fire as they left.

Back to the present, I was in tears because I have always lied about it to hide the truth from myself. I heard the roof door slam behind me and whipped around to see who it was, then whipped back around. It was Jake, of all people. “I know you told me that you wanted to be alone. But that’s not what the expression on your face is telling me,” he said calmly. That tone that he used always had a way of making me all warm and fuzzy inside, but I don’t quite know why. Jake came over to sit right next to me, putting his arm around me, pulling me closer. I didn’t detest it. “Let me guess, you were remembering back to when Sarah died, weren’t you?” I didn’t want to say anything because I knew that my fear and sadness would come out in my tone, but I replied yes anyway. Jake knew that with everything going on— especially that he tried to commit suicide— would make me reminisce back to my original life. Since he had met me, he had always felt sorry for me because of that fact. Of all the talents that I have, knowing what people think about me has to be the one I love the most.  I know what Jake was thinking; he cares for me more than anything, like a sister, and that’s what I like about him.

The whole idea of me having a past life was like playing a horror movie with no end; in Jake’s mind. You could tell what he was thinking just by the expressions on his face. “I’m sorry for us dragging you into the fight.” Jake has always had a way of apologizing that made you want to immediately forgive him. “I don’t even understand why you guys are fighting in the first place. I mean, it was a fluke accident.” “I know. Forget about it. And please don’t be mad at me; I don’t think I could handle it. You’re the only family I have left and I love you.” That last statement made me think a little. “What do you mean when you said, ‘You’re the only family I have left and I love you?”