Chapter 5: The Worst Day Has Yet To Come

The Worst Day Has Yet To Come

All of the men stood up. Jake tried to calm them down by saying I didn’t know what it meant. Jake, so not true! One of the men drew a concealed gun. He aimed it at the mayor. I yelled “Get down,” but it was like no one heard. I ran toward the guy with the gun. I grasped the gun just as the first round went off. I hit his elbow to break it and he shot off his second and final round.

Just about the whole “Calvary” and then some, rushed in. the first round must have hit the mayor because he fell to the floor and Rifenz yelled for an ambulance. The officers handcuffed all three of the so-called ambassadors. Jake fell to his knees with his hands grasping his hair. Two officers escorted Jake and me out.

We were escorted back to our headquarters. “It’s all my fault!” Jake exclaimed almost in tears. With a guilty conscience while sliding down the wall in his room. I didn’t know guys even knew how to cry. I slammed down on the couch, jokingly relaxing while propping my feet up on table. “No it’s not. Yeah, sure, you probably should have known that there was something seriously messed up, but there was no way of knowing for sure. If it wasn’t for sure, I’m pretty sure no one would have known,” I said trying to cheer him up, but not doing a good enough job.

A couple hours later, two officers came and got us to take us to the conference room in our building. “I’m afraid I have some bad news.” Rifenz had a depressing way of greeting people at times. Maybe that’s why he’s a cop. The world may never know… “The mayor has been pronounced dead. We have worse matters; since the mayor trusted Jake so much, we think the assassins are going to come after you, Jake. For your safety, both of you must stay inside you headquarters-night-club-whatever it is.” I just had to crack a smile at that comment. “We have another threat; this time aimed at Jake. This time threatening you sister.” Rifenz finally finished. I turned to Jake. “I didn’t know you had a sister?” I shouldn’t have added that.

Like that, Jake’s mood completely changed all at once. He pretty much ran out of the door. I watched him as he left, then shot a glance at Rifenz’s disapproving expression, and then ran after Jake. I followed him to his room. He grabbed a duffel bag and started packing. “Why are you packing?” I asked. To me, it sounded kind of stupid. “My sister’s in danger and I have to go make sure she’s okay—““You heard Rifenz and I’ll bet they’ll send someone to make sure she’s not going to be touched. So stop packing,” At that point, I put my hand over his hand, as an attempt to get him to stop packing. “and go down to the kitchen with me and get something to calm you down,” I told him. I removed my hand as he stopped packing and motioned him to come down to the kitchen with me. Instead of following me, he just crashed down on the couch, lying down, with his hands over his face. I don’t know why, but at that moment, I wanted to give him a hug and tell him everything is going to be okay.

I went back down to the conference room. “What’s wrong with him?” You could tell that Rifenz was completely dumbstruck. “Did you seriously just ask that?” I said sarcastically. “What?” He responded. “His sister is in danger and you’re asking what’s wrong.” I sort of sounded like I was going off on him, but I wasn’t meaning to. Rifenz did say that he sent police detail to keep watch over her. Somehow, I don’t think that’s going to work.