Chapter 13: The Result

Thank God that Bree decided to postpone our Girls’ Night Out; otherwise it wouldn’t have been exciting. Like it was going to be anyway. It wasn’t until the next morning that Jake sobered up. Unfortunately, he remembered every bit of the night before; I had been hoping to forget about it. Mikayla found out, last night, and ended it with him; as she could no longer trust him. Surprisingly enough, he wasn’t the slightest bit saddened.

    I had been working on my laptop when I had heard someone knock on the door. “Door’s open,” I announced. After I had said that, I heard the door open and then shut. I had briefly turned to see who it was. Jake walked by me, silently with a depressed expression on his face, and sat down on the futon next to my desk, facing me. “Anna, I’m sorry for what happened last night, and I understand if you never talk to me again.” I turned to face him. He gasped at the sight of the result of his drunken madness. Jake just stared at the bruises that had formed on my cheek, where he had struck me. I would have to admit, it was a ghastly sight. After a bit, I turned back around to work on the laptop, again, trying to control my anger. After all, he didn’t really have control over his actions when he was drunk; or did he?

    I heard a sigh and then Jake got up from the futon. The next thing I know is that there are arms encircling me round my shoulders and collarbone as I was typing. I could feel Jake’s warm breath tickling my ear. “You have to forgive me. Anna, you just do,” he whispered into my ear. That was it, I couldn’t take it. I slammed the laptop lid down. Jake backed away as I spun around in the chair and stood up. “What makes you think that I will just simply forgive you after something like that? You’ve never been drunk before; little alone even one sip of alcohol. Then, all of a sudden, you nearly down a whole bottle of vodka and go spiraling out of control.”  I had tried to control it as much as possible, but it all came out like word-vomit.

    I had felt the pain those words caused him. When the pain hit me, I could feel the hot sting of tears welling up in my eyes. I couldn’t believe that I could hurt someone this much. It felt like being stabbed in the heart with a very dull knife. I backed up until I hit the futon, then collapsed on it; covering my face with my hands. Jake, too, had collapsed down onto the futon right next to me.

    He had put his arms around me and pulled me into a hug, resting his chin on my head. The tears came streaming down my face with a sob. I can’t believe that I had been this mad at him. I could just tell that tears were starting to stream down his face as well. While rubbing circles into my back he said, “I’m so sorry for all of it. It’s killing me to know that I hurt you like that. I never want to do it again."