Chapter Eighteen

READ AUTHORS NOTE AT END.

/////Sam's POV\\\\\ 

After the drill incident, we had to take a train-like thing to get to the city. We were all tired, so none of us said much as the earthbenders started pushing the city bus type thing into the city. Toph sat between Sokka and I, while Aang and Katara sat opposite us. 

City bus. That's what I'll call it. 

"Look, the inner wall!" Katara suddenly exclaimed, pointing at the giant, grey wall. "I can't believe we finally made it to Ba Sing Se in one piece." 

"Hey, don't jinx it!" Sokka warned. "We could still be attacked by some giant exploding Fire Nation spoon. Or find out the city's been submerged by an ocean full of killer shrimp." 

"You been hitting the cactus juice again?" Toph asked, petting Momo. 

"I'm just sayin', weird stuff happens to us," he answered, waving his arms. 

"Weird, but not that weird," I chuckled, reaching over Toph to pull his ponytail lightly. He glared, and swatted my hand away. 

He looked like he wanted to say something, but before he could, a man plopped himself down in between Toph and Sokka. The blind girl looked startled, and I scooted over to let her have more room. I glanced out the window, and my jaw dropped. 

"Whoa," I gasped. 

"What?" Toph asked, looking at me. 

"The city," I said. "It's... huge." 

Buildings seemed to stretch on for miles, and the wall on the other end of the massive city still looked huge, even with it being so far away. The city bus/train came to a sudden stop, and we all clambered out. 

Toph stepped onto the glossy floors, and huffed. "Back in the city. Great." 

"What's the problem?" Sokka asked. "It's amazing!" 

"Just a bunch of walls and rules," Toph groaned. "Just wait. You'll get sick of it in a couple days." 

"There are rules everywhere you go," I told her. "That doesn't mean you have to follow them. Haven't you ever heard 'f...'" I trailed off, looking at the curious eyes of my friends. Dang it. This was a kids' show, I couldn't swear in front of them. 

"Heard of what?" Sokka asked. 

"Erm - forget the police," I rushed. "That's what I was going to say." 

"Right..." Sokka said, drawing out the word. "Hey, look." He pointed to the other side of the tracks, where a lady with long, brown hair was standing. 

Her smile seemed plastered to her face, and she had a long, light green kimono looking dress. Her eyes sparkled in a weird way, and I unconsiously took a step back. She walked over to us, that smile still painted on. "Hello," she greeted. "My name is Joo Dee, and I have been given the great honor of showing the Avatar around Ba Sing Se. And you must be Sokka, Katara, Sam and Toph." She looked at us in turn, her arms behind her back. "Welcome to our beautiful city. Shall we get started?" 

"Yes," Sokka declared, clutching his bag. "We have information about the Fire Nation army that we need to deliver to the Earth King immediately." 

"Great!" Joo Dee exclaimed, smiling wider. "Let's begin with our tour. Then I can show you to your new home here. I think you'll like it." She nodded before walking away. 

"She seems... off," I observed, glancing at Sokka, who looked dumbfounded. 

"Maybe you missed what I said," Sokka called, dragging his bag on the ground as he chased after our 'guide'. "We need to talk to the king about the war. It's important." 

"You're in Ba Sing Se now," Joo Dee said, as if we had forgotten. "Everyone is safe here." 

We all gave each other weird looks, and I took a step closer to Toph. "I say we don't seperate, no matter what," I told them, as we followed the crazy lady. "Something's... weird."