Chapter 22

Ed's POV.

While Karlie is taking a shower, I go to the living room and turn on the TV because Acker wants to see his favourite show: Phineas and Ferb. I go back to the kitchen to finish setting the table and have breakfast with Karlie.

'I didn't know what you would like so I...' I say when I hear the kitchen's door and stop talking as soon as I see my wife's face. 'What's wrong?'

'Why are you so stubborn on fucking my life up?' She says while closing the door and keeps crying. 'What was your plan? Earn my trust, then fuck me and then take off? Congratulations because if you wanted to hurt me again, you got it.'

'What are you talking about??' I answer her back without understanding a shit.

'This!!!' She shows me the paper with the application of divorce and then she crumples it and throw it at me. Now I understand everything. What a fucking misunderstanding.

'I can explain it to you.' I keep the calm tone of my voice.

'Of course you are going to explain it!' She says getting closer to me and before she has a nervous breakdown, she starts asking me 'Why?' 'Why?' 'What have I done to you?' 'Is this because of what happened with the money?'

'Please, Karlie, calm down.' I hug her tightly, trying that she quiets down, stroking her back while she doesn't stop crying. 'I'm going to explain everything to you but...'

Suddenly Acker gets into the kitchen and with knitted brows he asks getting closer to us 'Why are you crying mum?'

Karlie dries the tears with her hand palm and makes up quickly an excuse. 'Don't you worry, my little monster. Mum just had some problems with work, but now everything is okay. Go and keep watching TV.' She gives him a kiss on the cheek and he runs to the living room. 'Can you leave now, please? I'd like to be on my own.'

'Are you coming tonight?' I try to stroke her cheek but she steps aside.

'Do not touch me.' And I get to see the cold Karlie from the beginning when we broke up. 'I don't know if I'm going. I'll send a message to Candice.'

Without saying any other word I walk towards the main door and go outside to drive to my place. I had her last night and I can't lose her again. As soon as I get home I have a shower, while the water runs all over my body I think about my explanation to Karlie. Why I always end fucking everything up? Now it's going to be even more difficult for her to trust on me.

After the shower I don't even bother on brushing my hair. I put a flannel white and red T-shirt, a pair of jean shorts and the Nike's trainers. I don't know why I always manage to be late to the meetings. When I get to my parent's house, where the dinner is going to take place, everyone is already there, including Karlie and my son. She knows perfectly how to hide her feelings. She is smiling all the time even when she sees me. I give her a kiss on the cheek and I sit by her side.

We are over 15 people. My parents, my brother and his wife, and the rest are uncles and aunties from both sides mom's and dad's. My cousin Murray is also here. Before we start eating we toast for the just married couple. I see the way my brother looks at Candice every time she speaks, you can tell how much he admires and loves her just by looking at his eyes. I place my hand on Karlie's thigh but she immediately regrets it by slapping my arm.

'Matt, when are you going to give me a nephew?' I ask him, while eating a piece of marinated chicken.

'Why did I have the feeling that you were going to ask that, Ed?' Candice asks me as a response.

'When you give us a second nephew. I'm sure that Acker wants a sister or a brother, what do you prefer Acker?'

'We are n-' Karlie says but our son cuts her off, very enthusiastic.

'I want a sister!! I want a sister!!!' he repeats making everyone laugh. 'Mum, dad, when am I going to have a sister? I want to take care of her!'

'Yeah, guys, haven't you think about giving him a sibling?' my uncle Billy asks us this time but before I can answer him, Karlie does it.

'Well maybe if Ed didn't shag Christine, he would have had already a sibling.' She claims like throwing cold water on me. 'Now, if you'll excuse me.' She stands up and leaves us by walking towards the house.

'I'm sorry, Ed...I didn't know it...' he says completely shocked.

'Don't worry, uncle. It's not your fault. I'm going to talk to her. Sorry guys.' I give him a warm smile and then I stand up and go to look for Karlie.

'Karlie...'I say in a low tone of voice as soon as I listen to her sobbing.

'Go to hell, Sheeran.' She answers me back. She is sat against one of the walls of the house. I sit by her side.

'I'm here to give you an explanation. Again. Look at me.' She ignores me and I take her gently by her chin, forcing her to look directly into my eyes. ' I haven't used you. I didn't want any revenge.'

'Are you sure this is not because of what happened with the money?'

'Karlie, don't say bullshit. That happened at the beginning of our relationship. I don't even care.'

'Then why?? Why did you give me the application?'

'. Because...I was upset and also because Rose convince me to do it. But all what I said yesterday was the truth.'

'But it doesn't make sense! You can't just that because you were upset...'

'I know it's hard to understand and that is a childish act but for a moment, when I saw you with Tom, I thought you deserved to be happy again. I wanted you to be happy.'

'Then why you didn't give me simply the application before? Why did you want to wait to the wedding?'

'I don't know...I really don't know. But I thought you knew already about the letter yesterday when we talked and that you didn't care.'

'I forgot to open it. How am I supposed to trust on you after all? How do I do it? Please, Ed tell me...' her voice cracks again. ' Because I want and I need to be happy again. But I don't know if happiness is really with you or without you.'

'What if I tell you about taking the last risk of your life and we try to work through this like we haven't never done that. Let me show you that, that we can do it. We can work this out and be happy again, babe.'

I stroke her cheek with my thumb. I give her soft kisses all over her face, without touching her lips. There goes my last chance.

_________________________________

Comment and vote <3

Marie