Chapter 5: Rafting

The next day after Norman bailed on me I decided to forget about him. I didn't want someone who would just toy around with me.

Going to work I smiled when I saw Amanda. "Hey girl," she said. "What's up?" I asked slipping back behind the counter.

"Not much, so tell me all about Norman!" I rolled my eyes at her, "I'd rather not. Last night he asked me to hang out and left me waiting until eleven o'clock. He bailed on me and I'm pissed off." I threw my stuff into the corner. "Maybe he got held up?" Amanda was trying to lighten my mood. "No, he made the plans. He knew I would be waiting and bailed on me."

"I guess you're right, but there are plenty of fish in the sea." She joked. "Yeah and I'm just a piece of coral." We shared a laugh before getting to work.

All day long I thought about Norman. I spent a good amount of time thinking about why he would have bailed on me. Maybe he came to the conclusion that I was not worth the time, or that he was a stupid jackass that does this all the time.

"You alright? You have been quiet." Amanda came outside to smoke while I was on my lunch break. "I'm alright." I stirred my salad around in the bowl. "Do you think I'll ever see him again?" I asked her while watching the people on the beach.

"Of course. He lives around here. Just wait, he'll come when you least expect it." Amanda out her smoke out and went inside.

A few more days passed and I saw nothing of Norman. I really wanted an explanation. I didn't need an apology, I just wanted to know why he bailed on me.

"Cassie, Katrina and I are going for coffee later. Wanna join?" I heard Amanda ask before I left. "Uh, no thanks. I'm gonna- I have something to do." Amanda gave a weak smile. "Cheer up." I scoffed before walking home.

Sitting at home I flipped through the channels. Everything was related to the ocean or the water in some way. Maybe this was God's way of telling me to go to the ocean.

I decided to do it. I changed into some shorts and a t shirt before walking to the boardwalk. They had a small raft rental place nearby that was open 24/7. I couldn't believe what I was doing right now. "Can I purchase a raft?"

After getting my raft and having someone put it in the water I made a quick prayer to God. "Please don't let me die." I used the small ores to push myself off the land. I looked out into the sunset. The area had an orange tint to it, but that sure as hell didn't make any of this less terrifying. I started the motor on the back and took off slowly.

After getting far enough out so I couldn't see the shore anymore I stopped the raft. It was getting really windy out here and the waves were picking up quite a bit, rocking my raft.

I put my hands over my arms, trying to warm myself up. I felt a drop of rain on my knee. "God dammit!" I complained. I went to start up the motor and couldn't get it to come on. I had to stand up and pull the string back. I stood on the rocking raft terrified for my life right now. The sound of something plunking into the water startled me.

I turned around and there was nothing. "Screw this," I said to myself. I started to ore my way back to shore. It started to pour the moment I sat down. My ores seemed to be stuck like they wouldn't move.

The next thing I knew they were in the water, sinking to the bottom of the ocean. I wouldn't dare stick my hand in there to grab it either. I was becoming overwhelmed with all this water around me. I couldn't even look at it anymore. I put my face in my hands and cried. I just wanted to get out of here. I was so stupid for even thinking Norman would be here. Even more stupid for thinking I could face my fears.

I didn't even know what happened but a huge wave came over the raft soaking me. I left out a loud screech that even scared me. I looked behind me and heard a noise again. Almost like a screech, similar to mine. I wasn't safe anywhere right now. There could be sharks, and whales underneath me as I speak.

"Oh god! No, no, no, no, no." I didn't even like thinking about it. I had no cell phone with me and the only thing close to a landmark was this large red anchor thing in the middle of the water. I heard another wave coming. There was nothing I could do except let it do its thing. I closed my eyes and could feel myself being lifted into the air and slammed into the water. I opened my eyes under the water and seen the endless blue ocean. I wanted to scream. I surfaced myself and tried to swim to the red anchor. I couldn't do this. I'm not a swimmer. I took a deep breath of water before the next wave hit, sending me twice as far back.

I finally made it to the anchor after what seemed like an hour and held on for dear life. I heard the sound of a motor in the water but wouldn't dare open my eyes.

"Cassie?" This was just my imagination. "Hey, Cassie!" I finally opened my eyes and saw Norman in a wet suit sitting on his boat.

"What the hell are you doing? Give me your hand!" He yelled reaching a hand out to me. He had a black glove on to keep him dry.

"I-I-I can't." I stuttered. "Cassie you have to trust me. Just grab my hand. I got you." I quickly reached for his hand and he pulled me up with ease. "Atta girl." He wrapped a large blanket around me.

"What the fuck are you doing out here? Huh? You can't swim, remember." He said pulling me to sit. "I don't know. You bailed on me and I thought I would find you out here." I wiped the water off my face with a small towel.

"Cassie, I'm really sorry. Something happened that night and I just couldn't." I rolled my eyes at him. "Bullshit Norman. You don't have to lie." "I'm not lying." He said firmly. The gaze he held told me he was serious. "I'm just weird okay, and I have this thing that happens every month, I can't avoid it, and last night it happened."

I thought the worst thing possible, "oh god! Norman... Do you have a herpes?" He gave me a look of disgust. "What? No! I don't have herpes Cassie!" I let out a deep breath. "Good." Norman shook his head. "You probably hate me, but wanna come to my place and dry off. I'll make food and we can watch a movie?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I guess." I told him. He patted my knee and started the boat up. "Are you sure you don't have herpes?" I teased him. "I'm free of herpes." He smirked.

****
💜Please leave me a comment and tell me how you are liking this story. I know the updates are slow, but they will be more frequent.

💚Comment & Vote!

Thanks ~ InSearchOfFlames 🔥🔥🔥