Chapter 25- Heartbeat

We stayed at the lake house until January 6th.  It was a very relaxing 2 weeks away from home, but all of the adults had to go back to work on Monday.  We begged to stay a few extra days, but with my current situation, it’s understandable why they wouldn’t let us stay.

Today is the day of my appointment and my mom and Scotty’s mom are taking off at lunch time to go with us.  Scotty and I are meeting them there, as well as Rachel and Ashley.

When we got up to the doctor’s office, I had to fill some paperwork out.  When I finished, I took it back up and the nurse at the desk said that I should be called back shortly.  I sat in the chair next to Scotty and he had his fingers intertwined with mine and his other hand was on my knee.

After about 10 minutes, the door opened and a young woman wearing scrubs said, “Emery?”  I took a deep breath and Scotty and I stood up.

I turned around and saw that no one else was standing.  “Aren’t you guys coming?”  I asked, not sure what was going on.

“Sweetie, this is something you both need to do together.  You don’t need us back there.  We came to support you.  If you need us, come get us.  But I think you will be okay,” my mom said.

I nodded and said, “Okay.  Thank you guys for being here.”

“It’s our pleasure.  We’ll see you when you get done,” Judy said.

We walked up to the lady and she shook our hands.  “I’m Jenny.  Please follow me.”  She took me back to a room and took my vitals and my height and weight.  She then asked a few questions about my last period and all of that stuff.  After she was finished, she said, “Dr. McKenzie will be with you shortly.”

“Thank you,” Scotty said.  Once she was out of the room, he turned to me.  “How are you doing?”

“I’m okay, nervous.”

“You have nothing to be worried about, Em.” He said, placing a kiss on my forehead.

After a few minutes, the door opened.  “Good afternoon, I’m Dr. McKenzie, you must be Emery.”

“That’s me, very nice to meet you,” I said shaking her hand.

“And you must be the lucky guy,” she said, sending a playful wink toward Scotty.

“That I am.  I’m Scotty,” he said, sticking his hand out for her to shake.

“So Emery, it says here that you are pregnant, is that correct?”

“As far as I know, yes.”

“Okay, when was your last period?”

“Oh goodness, um, the end of October?”

“Are you sure?”

“Sometime around then.  But if it helps, I know I conceived on November 20th.”

“That helps a lot.  Was this planned?”

“Woah no.  No.  It’s the only time we’ve had sex,” I said like I couldn’t get those words out fast enough, looking away from Dr. McKenzie.

“It’s nothing to be embarrassed about, sweetie.  This is a lot more common than you think.  Did you use any protection?”

“I was on the pill.”

“Okay, no condom?”  Scotty and I both shook our heads.  “Have either of you been sexually active?”  Once again, we both shook our heads.  “If you don’t mind me asking, why are you on birth control?  There are many reasons people who are not sexually active take it, but I just want to get a better understanding of your body.”