Chapter 9: I guess its Black magic.

"Take a sip of my secret potion, I'll make you fall in love,

  For a spell that can't be broken, One drop should be enough,  

  Boy you belong to me, I got the recipe

And it's called black magic ."

~Little Mix  

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Jesse

There were three things I steered clear of, things that I had warned myself when high school began, to never fall into. Crushes, relationships and the scariest of all, LOVE.

These things were like quicksand. Slowly pulls you in and traps you until you gasp for freedom. Trust me, I have had firsthand experience with my own parents. That was a matter of its own which I'd rather not relive. So I put on a façade, one which no one had ever broken down till date. Even my man, Skyler doesn't know the real me, because it's battered and hidden underneath several layers of harsh experience.

The day I entered high school, I forced myself to change my nature. I was no longer that young boy, the dreamer, the believer. Instead, I was that superficial boy, who now knew that life didn't play the game fair. I knew I would go down someday, but I didn't want to drag anyone else down with me, or be dragged down by someone. I didn't do commitment, or anything deep for that matter.

I gave myself a player reputation so that those girls, who deserved love, knew better than to be involved with me. The rest however, were perfect to temporarily relieve me of my pain. And that's all I needed now.

At least that's all I thought I needed.

It was the first day of senior year. All those years that I had spent in my old school only deteriorated my condition. I couldn't handle myself anymore. The principal and I had grown acquainted with each other because of my daily antics, and consequently, my daily visits to her office. She wasn't bad, actually speaking. She related with me and felt that her school wasn't helping me improve myself.

She was one of the first few persons who actually understood me and spoke to my mother about shifting me to Lincoln high, which was run by her sister. She wanted me to begin my last year of school with a clean slate and finish with a clean record. Because of her efforts, I was determined to give it a shot.

First period, I was called into the Principal's office. It was basically a meeting to discuss my previous years' performance, my behavior records and how I could improve. It was mentally grueling to discuss it with someone new. Soon after me, Skyler was called in.

When I had come to know that Skyler would be moving to Westshore too, I had been relieved. His mother, Amanda, wanted to return to her own home in Westshore with her husband and Skyler. I was happy for Skyler; they had finally managed to get rid of his abusive father. His mother married Richard, last summer and after a happy year in San José, they wanted to move back to Amanda's hometown, where Skyler grew up.

I had Math, second period, with a Mr. Brown. The hallways confused me and it took quite a while to locate the classroom. In the process, I guess I had circled the same corridors more than twice. When I had finally managed to find the classroom, the teacher had already arrived and had probably been ticked off by me. I could have only hoped that he didn't suggest Santa to put my name in the list of bad children.

I hunted for a seat, and the only one available was the last row, next to a girl. I walked up to the seat and plonked down, without even asking her if the seat was taken. I sunk in my seat after pulling out the required books. I was in no mood to do math in my first class. Everybody in my old school knew how good I was in math. I was offered a scholarship because of my knack for math. What everyone back there failed to understand was that what you are good at may not necessarily be what you like.