Prologue

"Good morn--" I said then being cut off as I knew nothing was okay with the look on my mother's face. Right away I knew it was Dad. I knew it was Dad... He had been getting chemo for the past two years and we had prepared for the day he died. I wouldn't be sad when Dad died because I knew it was coming. I had cried plenty before, just so I would get ready for it.

"He's gone, Ginny." My mother sipped her coffee and closed her eyes, sitting at the dinner table and sighing. My eyes began to water but I looked away.

"Oh." I said softly so my voice wouldn't break. I felt the ache in my chest.

"He was taken away. But he's okay, sweetie."

"I know, Mama." I said quietly, walking to my seat and sitting next to Mom. She was sad--I could tell, but I knew that she was strong. My mom was the bravest and most strong person I ever knew. "Are you okay?"

"Of course I am, honey. Why wouldn't I be?" My mother responded and then looked at me. "He's gone but that doesn't mean I have to be sad, Ginella. You are my one priority in my life now," she cupped my cheek and smiled slightly, "and I want you to know I love you with all my heart, baby girl."

I nodded as I held back the tears. I knew they'd fall--I just hated crying in front of my mom. She was brave and strong and I was not. "I know, Mom."

"How about you get dressed for the day and we go out?" Mom suggested as she kissed my head. I nodded, knowing we would go to my mother's favorite park--the one her and my dad met.

As I fiddled with my fingers, I said, "Okay."

**

We drove to the park and it was a windy day. It felt just right. I liked it when the breeze hit me.

  "It's a perfect day." My mother said quietly, "Just like your father always said."

  I chuckled to the thought. My dad had always said "It's a perfect day" every day. I smiled as a tear slowly trickled down my slightly blushed cheeks. "But this time it is perfect."

  "Just like your father was," Mom whispered. "He was such an intelligent, handsome and diligent man."

  I smiled again. "I know."

  She smiled back and I stared at her. It was easy to think of my mother and father together. They were the perfect couple. I loved them so much.

  My mother had light blue eyes and my father had brown; my eyes turned out green. My mother was tan and my father was tan; I turned out pale. My mother and father were tall; I turned out a bit tall. My mother had black hair and my father had dirty blonde. I turned out with dark brown hair. They always said I was the perfect mixture of the Maases.

  "God, you look so much like your father," Mom smiled.

  I furrowed my eyebrows and looked away. My phone started to vibrate.

Checking it, I saw that my friend Katrina was calling.

  "Hey," Kat answered.

  "Hi." I replied.

  Mom tapped my shoulder. "I'm gonna go to the swings, okay, hon?"

  I nodded. "What did you need, Kat?"

  "Just heard of your Dad."

  I sighed. "Yeah?"

  Kat sniffled. "It's sad he's gone, Gin."

  "Don't act like that," I told her, "it's all okay."

  "Aren't you upset?"

  I thought for a second and looked up at the sky. What else could have possibly made me feel this way?

  I finally answered a second later.

  "No."