Helping Out

The next day was nothing more or less. I still missed my dad even though when he was alive I barely saw him.

**

It was two weeks later that at dinner my mom grabbed my hand and told me to sit down. I did as told to, not wanting to argue.

  "We've gotten into a little problem, sweetie." My mother told me.

  Furrowing my brows, I opened my mouth to speak but I figured that I should let her speak.

  "After paying for his funeral, grave, place, coffin, memorial and ashes, we're out of money, Ginella." Mom explained, "We only had money for that from our savings but now we have nothing, honey. We're in serious debt."

  "And?"

  "I'm sending you to live with your grandma, Ginny."

  "But--"

  "No buts, Ginella. You're living with her till I can make some money and pay off the loans."

  I looked down. "I can get a job, Ma," I told her. "Please, let me help. He's my dad.."

  "Ginella."

  "Please, Mom. Let me help pay."

  She sighed, "I can't let you do this, honey. You have college and your books and payments and all..."

  "Mom, I want to. I need to." I barked.

**

The next two months were full or applications and resumes. I couldn't have a day without an interview or going places for applications. My mom grew worried of me, but I reassured her that I'd get a job and help, no matter what. She didn't want me to help, but I fought against her pleads.

  "Ginny," Mom said, "please, just stop. You don't have to do this."

  "I want a job," I snapped at her. "it's good for my resume anyways."

  Mom sighed and stressfully placed her face in her hands. The diamond ring on my mother's hand was still there and I knew my mom would wear it till she died. "It's just... Honey, you're stressing yourself over this."

  "I'm not the one stressed, Ma." I replied as I wiped down the counter. "Just get some rest and I'll be home tonight by eleven."

  Mom looked up at me suddenly. "Why?!"

  "I'm gonna look for a job, Mom." I said to her as I finished wiping down the counter and then I put the rag onto the rack. "That or I'm gonna make some money."

  "How so?" My mother asked, standing up and grabbing my arm slightly. "You're not gonna be a stripper or a prostitute, are you, Ginella?"

  "No," I blushed deeply and smiled, embarrassed. The thought of doing that just made me get nervous. "Of course not, Mama."

  Mom nodded and let go of my arm. "Good," she whispered. "I don't want to see you selling yourself to men that don't deserve you. You're a very beautiful and intelligent girl, Ginny."

  "Thank you," The heat in my cheeks arose again.

  Mom yawned and then wiped her eyes. "I think it's time to hit the hay." She patted my back and kissed my cheek. "Eleven o'clock, Ginny."

  "Got it." I smiled.

  "Be good," Mom walked away and closed her bedroom door behind her. "I love you!"

  "I love you too, Mama!" I yelled back and then sighed.