Chapter 9

Kyle had finally awoke and went over to where the girls were. "I'm sorry if I frightened you." He mumbled as he sat down next to Xerina.

"That's alright." Xerina smiled. "Why did you faint when you found out who my mother was?"

Kyle shrugged. "I couldn't handle that much awesomeness...?" He smiled. "I find it cool that you're the child of a champion!"

Xerina looked at him. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah! I mean, my mother is the Unova proffesor and I feel that's kind of cool."

"Are you mad at me for keeping it a secret?"

"No."

Xerina smiled.

Elesa stood up. "So, I hear you two wanted a gym battle?"

"Yes!" Kyle jumped up and dragged Xerina to the gym.

Elesa took her place on the battle field and waited for the two to reach her.

Kyle dragged Xerina all the way to the battle field. Taking their places, the two sent out their pokemon.

Elesa sent out her Zebstrika. "You two ready?"

"Yes!" They both called out as the battle began.

Cynthia watched from the sidelines, this was the first time she saw Xerina battle. She was surprised to see how much Xerina's style resembled hers.

Kyle ordered his sandile to attack with sandstorm. Sandile followed his trainer's command and filled the arena with sand.

Fang closed her eyes to prevent being blinded by the sand and used thunder bolt; striking Zebstrika hard.

Zebstrika got up after being hit with Fang's thunder bolt and charged at Fang with flame charge.

Sandile saw this coming and quickly picked up Fang before using earthquake.

The ground shook violently dealing great damage to Zebstrika. Zebstrika fainted; giving the win to Kyle and Xerina.

"We did it!" The two trainers high fived each other with joy.

Elesa returned Zebstrika and walked over to Kyle and Xerina, handing them both a bolt badge of their own. "You two deserved these! You have great teamwork skills!" She smiled as the two took the badges and Kyle returned Sandile.

                    *         *          *

Night had fallen upon Unova and so the trainers decided to stay the night with Elesa in Nimbasa city.

Elesa was busy teaching Kyle how to cook while Cynthia and Xerina shared some mother daughter time in the living room.

"You battled great sweetie!" Cynthia smiled.

"Thanks mom. That means a lot coming from you!" Xerina smiled back.

"That being said, I'm going back to Sinnoh in a week." Cynthia leaned back. "And I'm taking you with me."

Xerina looked at her mother in disbelief. "What? No!" She began to raise her voice. "I don't want to go back just yet! I've only just started my journey!"

Cynthia sighed. "You can start a new journey in Sinnoh!"

"No! I don't want to leave my friends behind!"

"You'll make new friends!"

"I don't want to make new friends!"

Cynthia looked at Xerina. "What's this about? Why don't you want to come back with me?"

Xerina stood up and huffed. "Here, no one knows me. I can be my own person."

"And in Sinnoh you can't?" Cynthia looked at Xerina confused.

"No! I can't! You know why!"

"Why?"

"Because I am forced to live in your shadow!"

"That's not true!"

"It is! You're never home so you wouldn't know! I'm rarely called Xerina, everyone just calls me 'Champion's Daughter'! They don't care about the real me! They only care that I'm your daughter!" She raises her voice to a yell. "I HATE BEING YOUR DAUGHTER!" Xerina storms out of the building without another word.

Silence fills the building.

Volkner broke the silence when he entered the gym. "Elesa! Cynthia! I brought some berries!"

Cynthia got up and went to the spar room where she stayed and closed the door loudly, but not slamming it.

"Uh..." Volkner was at a loss for words.

Elesa walked over to him. "Cynthia and Xerina just had a fight before you came home, and I think some feelings were hurt."

Volkner looked at Elesa. "Would you like me to talk to Cynthia?"

Elesa nodded as she took the berries Volkner had and went back to teaching Kyle about berries.

Volkner inhaled a deepth breath and marched to Cynthia's room. "Cynthia?" He knocked on the door. "Can I come in?"

A mumbled "no" came from the other side of the door.

"Do you want to talk about what happened?"

Small sobs could be heard from the otherside. "She doesn't like me."

"Awe that's not true Cynth. She loves you. You're her mother!" He tries to assure her from outside of the door. "Besides, you are a wonderful mother. She's just stressed. Just wait a bit and you two will make up."

Cynthia opened the door and let Volkner come in to comfort her.

                       *    *    *

Xerina sat alone on a bench outside of the Ferris wheel. "Agh I'm so mad!" She kicks a stone which rolls over to the figure's foot.

The figure snickered. And walked over to Xerina.

Xerina looked at the figure. "Who-" but before she could answer, she blacked out.