Chapter 12

In a matter of seconds, the quiet atmosphere turned into hell on Earth. Three masked men came barging in, forcing the front door open and slamming the security guard against the wall, almost knocking him unconscious. The screams surrounding me pierced my ears, merging together with the loud pounding in my chest. Managers, tellers, young, elderly... everyone ran as their life depended on it.

"I said get down!" Unable to process what was happening, I found myself being shoved to the ground, landing face first hard. My head throbbed in pain, but I didn't dare move.

The screaming didn't stop. It all became a hurricane of sounds as I clung to the cold tiles underneath me, trying to breathe.

I could hear one of them trying to say something, but the screaming was too loud. Covering my head, I heard shots being fired. I was too terrified to look. After the shots went off, the screaming came to an abrupt stop. It became so quiet, you could hear a pin drop.

I should mention, one of my worst fears is being attacked from behind. Yet here I was, in the middle of a bank, head down, with my back towards a trio of armed robbers.

Someone grabbed my arm. Petrified, I wanted to scream, but nothing came out.

"Shh... Maya, it's okay, it's me." I slowly looked up, and saw Kol, a solemn, yet comforting look on his face. I nodded, tears threatening to form.

He looked at me up and down, checking that I was alright, when a look of horror formed on his face.

"Maya, you're hurt..." he said, gently touching my forehead. Wincing slightly under his touch, I shook my head, letting him know it wasn't as bad as it looked.

The guy who seemed like the ring leader started walking around on the small shards of glass that covered the floor like deadly snowflakes. Another man was positioned at the front door, making sure no one got in, while the other was towards the back.

"Okay folks, here's how it's gonna be," he said in a menacingly quiet voice. "My friends and I are here to make a very large withdrawal, and anyone who comes in our way better start saying his prayers. You stay out of our way, no one gets hurt. Got it?" Everyone mumbled a terrified yes in response.

"Good. Let's all be civil, shall we? Everyone in a line, empty your pockets, hand in your phones, keys, wallets... all in this bag. NOW!"

Taking a sharp breath, I quickly got up and stood in line, as did Kol, and put my stuff in the bag. As he passed in front of me, he looked me straight in the eyes, sending shivers down my spine. All I could see was his eyes, but they were deep, soulless pools of darkness descending into the abyss... they were death. I felt Kol tense up next to me and he put his stuff in, his hands curling into fists.

Everyone held his breath as the robber stood in front of a man at the end of the line, who looked like a manager. He had only handed in his wallet.

"Okay. Sir? What's your name?" He asked with that voice that was dripping in venom.

"B-Bill."

"Bill what?"

"Bill Doyle."

"Okay, Bill Doyle. Where are your keys, Bill?"

"T-They're in the wallet."

He grabbed the wallet to check, which thankfully included the keys, to everyone's relief.

"Good answer. Now, where is your phone, Bill?"

"I left it at home."

The masked man stopped for a few seconds, the tension level in the room soaring sky high.