Chapter 14

"Are you sure about this?"

"Positive."

I was back at the Mikaelsons the next day, gym bag in hand, bottle of water in the other. I caught Enzo having coffee bright and early that morning. He knew I wasn't one to exercise at all, let alone in the morning, but he didn't ask. Based on the look on his face, he was probably just surprised to see me get up and do something for a change.

But enough was enough. I was doing something.

"Maya, finals are in two weeks. Shouldn't you be studying?" Kol asked, eyeing me carefully.

"That's exactly why I have to do this," I sighed. "I can't concentrate since that day. I can't study and jump every time Enzo opens the door. They're in two weeks, and I need to concentrate. I need this. And what's with all the questions, anyway? Weren't you the one who agreed to all this yesterday?" I asked, tying my hair up in a ponytail.

"I know, I know, just making sure. Don't want Enzo to come looking for me if you show up bruised this evening," he said smiling. "Alright, let's begin," he finally said, unzipping his jacket, revealing a black wife beater underneath, which might I add, hugged him in all the right places.

Damn it, Maya, this is not the time. Concentrate.

"Lesson one..." he started, completely catching me off guard as I found myself sprawled on the ground, with him somehow having tackled me.

"...never allow yourself to get distracted," he grinned, offering me a hand.

"Wha – I wasn't distracted."

"Sure. Lesson two... don't lie to yourself," he smirked, still waiting with his hand open.

This was going to take a while.

"Alright, listen to me," he said when I finally got off the ground. "This is serious. Do you trust me?"

"Huh? You saved my life, Kol, of course I trust you." I answered matter-of-factly, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"That's not enough," he replied. "What if that was just luck? What if next time, I'd rather save my own life?"

"... I don't know," I answered finally.

"Exactly. You don't know. Now this thing can only work if there's trust between us."

"But now you just made me doubt my trust in you," I replied confused, looking at the ground as he circled around me.

"I want you to truly believe that you trust me," he said. "Go stand on that bench over there."

I looked over the shoulder at him, confused as ever. "Go on," he encouraged, gesturing with his head, and I did as he asked, slowing lifting one foot in front of the other, trying desperately not to get dizzy. This better be good.

When I was on the bench as he had asked, he proceeded by saying, "Now, close your eyes."

"One step ahead of you there," I replied. Please don't let this lesson take long.

"Really? Why?" he asked.

"I'm err... I'm scared of heights," I answered, not sure if I should have said that. My heart was beating louder with every second. Was this really a good idea?

After a moment of silence, I heard him speak. "Fall backwards."

At that, I opened my eyes. "What?" I stammered, looking at him, eyes wide open.