Chapter 2

"Yay!"

"No, Kai, not 'yay'. That means I have to spend another week or so listening to people carrying stuff in and out, whining that something was lost, was broken, was damaged... oh God like this assignment wasn't enough," I half-cried, going through the mail.

"I've been listening to you whine for three years, you don't hear me complaining." I simply glared at him.

"You know," he continued, already munching on one of the waffles, "my neighbours have been living there for ages now. Doubt they plan on moving soon. You know you could study there, right?"

I was just about to open my mouth when he interrupted me again.

"Ah ah ah don't you dare start whining again, you're worse than a menopausal fifty-year old with a hernia the size of a football. Now, be a nice, friendly, neighbour and go introduce yourself to your nice, friendly, erm, new neighbours." He started pushing me towards the house, and my feet unwillingly followed, seeing as he was six foot and had a body that visited the gym often, whereas my 5'5" frame was lucky if it visited the gym once every five years.

"Wow. Real original Kai," I said, trying desperately to stop my legs from going in the direction he wanted them to go, but failing miserably. "Did they teach you that in college?"

"Hey, I added 'new'. That makes it original."

"Whatever makes you sleep at night," I said. "So if we're going to be the nice, friendly neighbours, we should offer them some food, right?"

"If you want," he replied, opening the paper bag to grab another waffle.

"So... You're giving them the waffles."

"Hell no." He retaliated by shoving the whole damn thing in his mouth.

I looked at the ground as I was walking, and noticed that one shadow was missing. He had stopped walking.

"Aren't you coming with me?"

"Of course not. They might take my waffles."

"Some help you are. Here goes nothing." You'd think being friends with almost the whole neighbourhood makes it easy for me to make new friends. Think again. I almost get an anxiety attack every time I meet someone new.

"Excuse me?" I stopped in front of a man wearing a navy blue suit, white shirt and loose tie. He was looking at some papers, probably some sort of checklist. Who wears a suit on moving day, anyway?

"Excuse me?" Still no luck. The guy was completely absorbed in his papers. I looked back at Kai. With an amused look on his face, he lifted his hand forward, as if gesturing me to go on.

Sighing, I turned around. And of course, by now my new neighbour had noticed me, and was now looking right at me. Figures.

"Yes, miss?" he asked. Ooh. British.

"Oh, hi. Erm, well, I noticed you're just moving in, so I thought I'd welcome you to the neighbourhood. I'm Maya, I live next door." Smooth. I held out my hand, waiting for a handshake.

"Oh well that's incredibly sweet of you, Maya, thank you," he said, returning my handshake. "I'm Elijah."

"Are you moving in by yourself?" I asked.

"Oh no, this house is awfully large for me to enjoy by myself. I'm here with my three siblings. Two brothers and one sister. Ah, there she is." As he said this, a beautiful blonde appeared from behind the van, wearing a pair of black pants and a loose, white t-shirt that slipped over her shoulders.

"Maya, this is my sister Rebekah, the youngest. Bekah, meet Maya. She's our new neighbour," Elijah said.

"Hi Maya! Thank God, I thought it would be hard to make some new girlfriends in a new town, but here you are! Now I don't have to go through the torture that is living with these three all day."