Chapter 1 (Puyallup to Centralia)

• Dedicated to to YOU, the reader

                                                               McKinley

 "Centralia?" I asked incredulously. Centralia?! There was no hidden surprise in my voice as I tried to comprehend what my mom told me. She had promised her day off of work to be fun, but nothing has ever been fun since dad left. She kept saying we would move, year after year, and I kept wishing we had. Our home held too many memories. Yet I had imagined the move to be somewhere down the street, or maybe closer to my best friends house. Not an hour away, in a small secluded town.

House shopping was not in mind at all. 

Especially
from my hometown Puyallup to small-town Centralia. But I knew that in the end I would do anything for my mom, so I got in the car without another word. My mom meant the world to me. After all, my dad left  and wanted no part of my life. It's always going to be the Mom-And-McKinley show.

"What's wrong with that? It's the cutest little place. Cute homes, tight community..." She sniffed. Her eyes were red around the edges, and the caked make-up on her face began to smudge. Her phone was still visible on her lap. She had just gotten off of the cell with dad. He called her today. After eight years of absolute nothing, he called her today. And to do what? Ruin my mom all over again. I didn’t want to know what he said to her, and I didn’t ask. Ignorance is bliss.

"Nothing's wrong with that. It sounds... like a great town." I tried to give her my best smile. 
She looked down at the wheel, then at me, then down at the wheel, then back at me as if she were trying to say something but couldn't.

"What is it?" I asked. Although I already knew the answer. She wanted to tell me about dad. She wanted to confide in me, as if I were her friend. And I would listen, because that's what best friend's do.

She inhaled sharply, "He wanted to know how we're doing."

I blinked, "What?"

Tears fell down her face, "Time is running out."

I was confused, but I dropped it. To get her mind off him, I said, "Hey, this move will be fun. New home, new memories. C'mon. This is senior year! Senior pictures, senior prom. Centralia, you and me." 

She tried to smile, "Yes. Yes, it will be a fantastic change."

I looked out the window, thinking back to when I was nine.  My mom was a beautiful, laughing woman who never cared if she wore make-up or not. She loved to cook, and to clean, and to help me with my second grade homework. Dad would get home from work, kiss her behind the ear and say, "Dinner smells lovely."

He told us that he loved us, but I guess we just weren't enough. I came home from school one day to find my father's car racing down the driveway and my mother outside on her knees, weeping.

That was nearly eight years ago, yet I never forget the look of agony on my mother's face, and the last words she spoke in the air as his car became smaller and smaller: "Why?"

There was no reason to why he left. No note, no girl, no secret affair. At nine years old, you never really comprehend things. But I knew enough. He was never coming back.

 I looked away from the window, her strangled cry still in my head, "I know."

She smiled weakly, "It's alright honey. I just feel...we need a fresh start, that's all. It's about time...and you know how much I love small towns."

I gave her a smile, "Yeah."

Two hours later, we were parked in front of a pure white, two story house. A large oak tree covered almost the whole left side, making the home almost secretive from the rest of the world. A lively green bush did likewise on the left, covering the big front window. There wasn't a garage, just a gravel driveway by the bush. A small concrete path led up to a crème door.
My mouth opened in a little "o".

The Realtor, Rob, laughed, "So you like it?"

"Like it? It's amazing." And I knew it was true. This house was the most darling thing I've ever seen. It would be a dream to live here.

My mom genuinely smiled, which made me know that she was one hundred percent happy for once. It made me feel ecstatic. 

Rob led us into the house, which smelled faintly of vanilla and forest. The dark wood floors were shiny, new. I wandered off on my own while Rob talked his way through the house while my mom followed joyfully.

This trip wasn't so bad after all.

I walked over to the west window in the living room. There was another house, similar to mine, not too far from sight. Voices made me jump, and I searched for the sources. My eyes found a boy, maybe the same age as me, carrying wood from the forest to back behind his home. He was tan, his shirt was off, and all I knew about him was that he was some serious eye candy. He was talking to an elderly man, smiling a drop dead gorgeous smile. I sighed dreamily.

"I see you've found the neighbors." Rob smiled.

I turned, startled to be caught day dreaming, "Who are they?"

My mom came in after him, grinning.

Rob replied, "The Davidson's. Jack is the grandfather, and that’s Noah, his grandson. I think he might be in the same grade as you. Senior, right?”

"Yes.” I said. 

"Well, McKinley? What do you think of our new home?" My mom asked joyfully.

My face glowed, “This is ours?” 

She nodded, “Yep. Come see the backyard.” She walked through the kitchen. There was a double-French door to the right, next to where the kitchen table would go. My mom turned the silver handles with a click!

The backyard was hardly a yard at all. It was more like a field of green grass surrounded by a million pine trees. I inhaled, and smelled the dew, leaves, freshly cut grass. 

This was going to be the best fresh start ever. 

                                                               Noah

“Noah!” My grandfather called to me. I wondered if he needed help with his half of the wood. The older he got, nowadays, the more I had to aid him.

“Yeah?” I dropped my last load of wood on the back porch.

“Did you see that cute new girl next door? I think she might be our new neighbor!” He winked at me, grabbing his pile of chopped wood with as much ease as I had.

I laughed, “Thanks, pops, but I’m not interested in a rela-“

  He shook his head, “No, no that’s not what I was sayin’. Friendship goes a long way.”

I couldn’t move. Thinking about the last relationship I had with someone almost made me break down. Toughen up, you’re a man. I thought. It's stupid to keep sulking about it. Guys are the ones who are supposed to shrug and say, "whatever" even if they don't mean it. Yet I'm not that kind of guy. I have to hold her in my arms one last time, and ask "why?" I had to stand there and watch her walk away, losing the only girl I could really connect with. I had to be the one to lose my best friend.

“Yeah… friendship….” I looked over, and there was a young looking girl standing by the back door. Her eyes were closed and there was a faint smile on her lips. She was extremely pretty.

I closed my eyes, “I’ll introduce myself after they’re settled. I don’t want to disturb them.”

 My grandpa laughed, “You could always volunteer your services.”

“Maybe.” I didn’t want to fall for another girl again. I didn’t want to trust someone, and have them blow it. Again.

But I’m just being paranoid, because not everyone is like that.

“I know things have been hard for ya. But I think you should give her a chance.” 

“I think you’re right,” I said after a second, “Friendship, right?” I smiled.

He nodded, “Absolutely.”