Chapter 2 (Noah)

McKinley

Two weeks later we were finally settled into our new home. Our living room was complete with a beige couch and green pillows, a plasma screen tv sitting on a brown coffee table, and a cute green rug that I loved running my feet through. As we were unpacking, I would find an excuse to walk over the rug. My mom just laughed, and I was glad to see the light finally returning to her eyes.

My room was the best of all. Upstairs, down the hallway, the last door at the end. It had the perfect view of the backyard. It felt like we had acres and acres of land that stretched beyond the vast trees.

I was lying down on my Victoria's Secret striped bedspread, thinking about how wonderful this new house was, when my mom came in.

Her face was excited, "There's someone at the door for you."

I jumped up, "Who?" 

It didn't surprise me that neighbors were visiting. They'd been bringing all sorts of "home welcoming" gifts. My mom wasn't kidding when she said that this was a tight community. Most people have to drive at least a mile to reach our place. They always smiled, and hand us cookies or bread, telling about how wonderful the town is.

"Noah."

 That one word sent my heart racing. Of all the neighbors that have come to visit us, Noah had never been one of them. He would smile and wave from his side of the yard while we were unpacking, but other than that little exchange, nothing major happened.

"Slow down there, speed-racer!" My mom called as I rushed downstairs. I stopped by the cracked door to fix my hair, then opened it.

A smile greeted me, "Hey, I'm Noah."

It took me a moment, "Hi. I'm McKinley."

His arm gestured behind him, "Would you like a tour of the neighborhood?"

My mind went crazy, but my voice came out smooth, "Sure, just let me ask my mom."

I opened the door wider and he walked in, closing it behind him. My mom was in the kitchen, making dinner.

"Mom, can I tour the neighborhood with Noah?" I almost pleaded. My mom hated young girl's to be out by themselves. "It's just unsafe- anything can happen." She once told me, if I can recall.  

But seventeen isn't young, and I won't be alone.

My mom paused for a minute, peaked out the kitchen door from where she stood, and said "Fine, but be back by six thirty."

I checked the time. Four thirty. Well someone was being generous today.

"Great! Thanks!"

"Do you have your phone?!" She said loudly from the kitchen.

Noah smiled and opened the door.

"Yeah!" I called back, closing the door behind me.

Then I realized that I was outside with McDreamy. Not just any heart melting guy either.

It's Noah Davidson.

He started walking, looking at me to make sure I was following. I felt glued to the spot, but I quickly got it together and began to walk beside him, "How were your first few weeks here?"

"We've... made a lot of friends." I replied nervously.

He laughed, "Yeah, so I've noticed. We've just all grown up together and all."

Oh, that laugh.

 "How long have you lived here?" I caught myself staring and looked away, towards the large willow tree down the road, the sun shining through.

"My whole life. My grandfather has always lived in that house, and I loved visiting him. It's just an amazing place to be. For me, anyways. Some people hate small towns."

I nodded, "I know, but I love it here."

We were walking along an old sidewalk, and I had to keep looking down to make sure I wouldn't trip on the broken surface.

"So is it just you and your mom then?" He asked politely.

I sighed, "Yep. My dad left when I was nine. I haven't seen him since. Not that it matters. It doesn't, we're fine I promise," I cringed at how much my mouth was spilling. I haven't told anyone about my parents. Ever. "But I've made it through with just my mom. I can't imagine what I'd do without her... Sorry, I'm rambling. I ramble too much. It's a problem."

He laughed, "Rambling's good."

"So is it just you and your grandfather?" It was a dumb question, considering how obvious the answer was.

"Yeah... My parents died in a car crash when I was a seven. They were on their way to pick me up from here. Not a day goes by that I feel like it's my fault."

I stopped, and I looked Noah into his deep blue eyes, "That's not your fault."

He nodded, and we left it at that. I didn't imagine the tour of the neighborhood to be so informative.

A few silent minutes later, we were at a small park. Kids were playing on the swings and slides, two mothers were gossiping on a bench, and bike riders were making their way on a rocky path. Behind the park there was a big pond. The setting sun glistened on the top, making it appear almost magical.

I exhaled, making Noah grin, "It's amazing, isn't it?"

"Absolutely."

"Welcome to The Park, Miss McKinley."

                                                                   Noah

McKinley. The name felt foreign on my lips. Not that it was a foreign name, but everyone I knew was a Sarah or a Brandon. 

I loved the way she went on and on, telling me things she's probably never told anyone else, by the way her cheeks flushed. It took all the effort in the world to not stare at her beautiful face.

 "What do you think?" I asked her, as she looked around the park in awe. This was always my favorite place to go, and bringing her here seemed like a good idea. It was, actually, now that think about it. The sun was setting, making her long brown hair shine in golden strands and her brown eyes smiled at me as she replied, "I love it."

Her voice was young, yet confident and mature despite the nervousness in her eyes, "How old are you?" I asked curiously. 

"Seventeen as of Thursday." She replied brightly, "You?"

July eleventh, I thought. "Seventeen as of April twenty second."

She laughed. It was a charming sound. We walked around the path for awhile, not saying anything. I led her to the bridge that crossed over the lake. She got up and sat on the ledge of the stone, and looked around, "It's truly amazing, this park. How many girls have you brought here?" 

She smiled, but I replied, "About eight. The park at this time usually sets the emotion. They fall for it every time." 

"Yeah, right!" She laughed, "Well, at least you know that I won't fall for it."

"Dang." I walked over and leaned against the same side of the bridge she was sitting.

 "Mhm." She said, closing her eyes and inhaling. She really was beautiful. 

I couldn't afford to fall for her, but I knew that I wanted to. Maybe I could leave what she did behind me, and fall again. Maybe I should stop wearing my heart on my sleeve. 

Right. We all knew that I, Noah Davidson, was incapable of not being a hopeless romantic. 

 'Give friendship a chance,' my grandfather said.

 But maybe I didn't want friendship.