Chapter 13 (Surprise)

McKinley

No one can ever know what's going to happen in life. It's always one thing after the other, trying to get through the mountain in front of us. Sometimes it takes almost dying or realization of the truth to really hit you.

As I slowly gathered ingredients for the best sandwich in the world, it finally hit me. I set down the jar of mayonnaise and caught Noah's eye.

"What is it?" His eyebrows arched with worry.

I shook my head, "Don't be so worried. I was just thinking."

He waited as I opened up the bread and set two slices on a paper plate, "At first, I was horrified. Horrified at the fact that my mom had lied to me all these years. Then I was hurt, that she didn't tell me. That I was too young, or not trustworthy. It made me think, why would she hide such a serious thing from me? We always tell each other everything. I told her about friend problems and- and you..." 

"Breathe." Noah said.

I inhaled and exhaled before continuing, "But then I was glad. Glad that she didn't tell me because it would have been hard. At nine years old, thinking that my dad was going to die. Waking up in the middle of the night thinking my dad was going to die seems a lot lovlier than waking up in the middle of the night wondering if my dad was going to come home. Either way, it was a screwed up childhood.

When we moved here, I didn't even care of the friends that I was leaving behind. They didn't matter to me. Nothing ever has. And now-"

Noah was by my side, rubbing my back. I hadn't noticed that I was crying. Deciding that I'd already started my big talk, I went on to finish it.

"It just now got to me that my mom didn't tell me because she loved me. Ha! Lying out of the love she has for me. Doesn't even make sense. But I guess now it does. Because I would do the same thing if I was in her position."

Noah just nodded as I wiped the tears away, and I let out a shy laugh at how dramatic I was.

My mom was leaning against the kitchen door, wiping away tears as they continuously fell down her face.

I knew that I had said it all.

Kaylee ran in the door as soon as I opened it enveloping me in a huge hug, "Oh you poor thing! I came over as soon as I could. You know, family from out of town is over and everything. I'm so sorry! How are you-"

I peeled out of her embrace, smiling, "I'm fine! I promise. I've had a few weeks to get used to everything. We can now talk about college. "

She sighed in relief, emotions never being her favorite thing, and exclaimed, "We are going to be dorm buddies!!"

"Yeah!" I laughed, "Close the door!"