Chapter 11 (The Letter)

McKinley

I had a dream. And in that dream, everything was back to the beginning. Dad was there, taking off his tie and telling my mom that dinner smelled delicious. She laughed, and he kissed her neck from behind as she stirred a steaming pot. I was nine again, playing with Barbies.

Love was what mommy and daddy had, not me. Love was when daddy tucked me in at night, reading me a story that mom would act out. Everything was perfect. I had my friends at school, two loving parents, and a huge family that I saw every Christmas.

But that last day, that day when he left, was different. I turned, and for the first time in eight years, I realized that daddy was talking to mommy in a serious hushed tone, holding a piece of paper that was slightly crumpled in his hand. 

Tears fell down her face, slowly. And that was when I realized something was wrong. 

But I never realized what was wrong until now. 

Dreaming really sucks.

"McKinley? Honey? Are you awake?" My mother's soothing voice asked.

My eyes moved behind their lids, trying to open. How much medication did they give me? The more I tried to open my eyes, the more my body hurt.

"Mom...." I whispered. Tears, more tears. Why was she crying so much? My eyes finally opened and her tears greeted me.

"Oh, thank you thank you thank you..." She whispered as she clutched my hand between both of hers. She was shaking.

"I love you." I reminded her.

She wiped her tears, and her brown eyes met mine, "I love you, too, honey." 

"Is she- McKinley!" Noah ran in through the open hospital room door.

I smiled, or at least I thought I did, who could tell with this medication? "Hey." I said.

He looked like he was about to cry as well, so I quickly went on, "I'm okay, guys. Really." My eyes flickered between Noah and my mom, "They just gave me a lot of drugs. I don't feel anything."

Drugs. I looked down at my arm. Yes, there's that lovely needle. Ick. Noah made a chuckling sound, and made his way to the opposite side of my mom.

"I'm so glad you're okay-"

My mom sighed, interupting him, "I'm going to go to the cafeteria. I'm starving."

With another squeeze of my hand, she left, and Noah and I were alone.

"I'm so sorry I wa-" I started, but before I could get another word of my apology out, Noah kissed me. It wasn't a kiss that said, "I need you now." or "Please be mine." It was slow, soft. It said, "I will love you forever". Cheesy, I know.

"Let's forget everything. Look, I have something for you." He pulled up a chair to the side of my huge hospital bed. He handed me a thick white envelope. The small logo in the top left corner said BYU. 

I sat up grinning, "What is this?" 

"Just open it." So I did. And the words, "We are pleased" caught my eyes. I didn't feel like reading anything else.

"I made it into BYU Prove!" I said enthusiastically. 

He held up a similar envelope that was already opened and smiled.

"You made it too?! That's great!" I said.

Noah laughed his wonderful laugh, "I know. I was shocked, but it's perfect. Now I can annoy you in college, too."