Chapter One

I'm Ashlyn Primrose Mellark. I am the daughter of Peeta Mellark and Katniss Everdeen. I am sixteen years old, I have my dad's blond hair and my mom's gray eyes, my godmother is Effie Trinket and my godfather is Haymitch Abernathy. I don't think I'll have a chance of getting into the games. After all, I am Peeta Mellark and Katniss Everdeen's daughter. I don't have any siblings, yet. Now you know me..... This is my story.

I sat up in bed rubbing my eyes. I took a look at my calendar and there it was: circled in a deep purple ink. Today is the day of the Reaping. Oh my God. My heart pounded against my ribcage and I backed away. My breathing became uneven and I sat down my bed, shaking. My mom walked in and saw me. "Ashlyn? Are you okay?" She came over to me and hugged me.

"Today's the reaping." I say.

"Yes, I know. I remember when I told Prim that she wouldn't get picked. So I'm not going to say anything about the Reaping." Mom said, softly.

"You wouldn't wanna jinx it?" I force a laugh. How can I laugh at a harsh, cruel moment like this?

"Exactly. I have something out for you." She held a gray pleated dress with a white blouse. This was my aunt's shirt. This is Prim's shirt. She's dead now though.

"It's pretty." I say.

Mom set it on the chair that brushed up against my desk. "I'm glad you like it." She walked out the room before I can say anything else. My eyes fluttered to the shoes with the slight wedge near my door. I walked into the bathroom and boiled water for my bath. Moments after the water finshed I poured the water into the tin tub and I stepped inside.

My tucked in my white blouse and I finished tying my shoes. I stood and looked into the crazked mirror that was pressed against the wall. I had put my hair into a half up half down style and I watched as after I let go of my blond hair it traveled down to the bottom of my back. I turned and I walked out of my room. Mom was dressed in a pretty yellow dress.  "All finished?" She asked me.

"Yes, ma'am." I replied. "Where's Dad?"

"He went down to the bakery real fast. He'll be back don't worry."

"Will he be here to see me off to the Reaping?"

"He'll be up on the stage hoping you don't get picked." She smiled briefly. I know this is hard on my mom. Her first daughter going to the Reaping the second time hoping, I don't get picked.

What if I do get picked?

What if they have to mentor me and see me get murdered on live TV?

What will they say then??