Chapter Three

"Welcome,welcome to the annual Hunger Games!" Effie said in her humorous Captiol voice. "This year is going to be the same as it has always been but, the setting is different. Now, I will pick the two tributes. As always, girls go first." Effie puts her hand into the girls' bowl and she snaps a slip in between her long fingernails. She walks back to the microphone and opened it. Her face went pale. "Okay," she said close to a whisper, "uh, the girl tribute this year is Ashlyn Mellark."

What?! Me?! Sari, Gracelyn, and Casalane look at me. "Oh my God." Casalane whispers. "You were choosen."

I don't say anything. I just walked to the stage. Four Peacekeepers corner me and assist me to the stage. Effie looks at her pointy boots and looks back up, "Come on up, dear." Effie grabs the microphone from the nearby Peacekeeper, "Any volunteers?"

I look out into the audience, then I look back at my parents. My mother is trying to hold back tears and my dad has a solemn look on his face.

"Anyone?" Effie sounded desperate.

Who the hell would want to volunteer for the games. My mom only volunteered for Aunt Prim when Aunt Prim was just 12 but, when they moved to District 13 Prim died and Mom was devastated. Grandma is still alive but, she's in another moment of mourning. Just like she was when Grandpa died when Mom was 11.

"Okay." Effie said. She graduated to the boys' bowl. "Now, for the boys." Her long fingers snapped up a slip of gray paper and she smoothed it out. "Aaron Basley."

Aaron Basley?! Him?! He . . . he saved my life. Aaron was cornered by four Peacekeepers and they walked him to the stage.

Effie turned and said, "Alright, shake hands." We did. His hands were tough but, soft. Effie continued, "Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!" She grinned her fabulous grin and she escorted Aaron and I to our separate rooms. The place where we say goodbye to the people we love.

Sari, Casalane, and Gracelyn walk in and hug me. "Please don't die." Sari muffled into my shoulder.

"I won't die. I'll try not to." I say back.

Sari moves out of the way holding her hand to her mouth. Gracelyn comes to me and embraces me, "We'll miss you, bestie. We'll take care of your grandma."

"I don't really care about, Grammy." I say. "She's slowly dying anyways."

"I'm going to miss you, Ash. I'll stay up all night watching you to see if you're still alive and if you're still okay." Casalane said. She hugs me tight and she let's go.

A Peacekeeper comes in and rallies them out. I run to the door trying not to let go of Casalane's hand. "No! No! Please no!" I screech.

The door closes between us. The door's not closed for long. Gale, my mother's best friend, comes in. I run to hug him and he tells me how to survive the Games. "Find a good source of water and get the pack with the knives. Be sure to use your traps and knives for game."

"Okay, I'll try."

"No." Gale says. "Sari, Jenny, and I need you to actually do it. If we watch you die it'll be hard on us. Think about your mom and dad."

"Okay. I'll do it. I'll come back alive." I nod. "Gale?"

"Yes?"

"I have a question."

"What is it?"

"What happened-?" I was intrupted by Peacekeepers who dragged Gale away. I step forward, "Gale!" I don't trust Peacekeepers. Not since Gale's whipping (my mom told me, I wasn't born yet) and my almost-death.

"Ashlyn-!" The door shut between us.

Next up were my parents. Mom saw me and automatically rushed me into a hug. "I'm sorry, Ashlyn. I didn't know you were going to be picked! Your name has only been in there six times!"

"It's okay. I'm going to win. I'll come back home."

"It's okay because your father and I are going to be your mentors." Mom said.

Dad pulls me into an embrace and he kisses my hair, "Use your knife and your trap for food and for defense."

"Gale came in and gave me some tips." I said.

"Oh! Gale! Lovely!" Mom said uncomfortably. "What . . . what did he say?"

"Katniss, let's not talk about this now. Please." Dad rubbed his face.

"Fine, we'll talk about it later." Mom said. She took my blond hair between her thumb and index finger and twisted it around her finger. "The Peacekeepers will be arriving shortly."

The door burst open. "Time's up." The Peacekeeper said. He doesn't force them out but, waits by the door.

Mom and Dad walked out of the room and the door shut. I sat on the velvet chair and I put my face in my hands. Oh my God. I can't get it out of my head. I am going into the Hunger Games. I guess I'm following in my parents footsteps right now.