Chapter Ten

I wake up to hear shouts of murder. I look around to see the the Careers were below me throwing weapons up at me. I panic on the inside and I press myself up against my branch. A knife whizzes past me and I pant. I steady myself and my bag. I hear trees rustling. I look up and I saw a boy and girl from District 10 I think. The girl pulled a knife out of her bag and she pretended to drop it. I cock a brow and the boy mouths, "Drop your knife."

I nod and Alex yells, "Come on down! Admit you're hungry!"

I wasn't hungry. I've went two days without eating in case if I ever went into the Games. "I'm not hungry!" I call down.

"We'll just wait you out, biatch!" The girl from 2 called, I think her name was Miranda or Alyssa or something.

They all sit down, taking shifts. It's night. The faces of the fallen appear in the sky. A girl from 4, both from 5, both from 6, one from 7, one from 9, and one from 11. I didn't see Aaron's face so he must be somewhere safe, I hope.

***

It's early morning and all the Careers were asleep. I hear a psst and I look up. The boy and girl from 10 were still up there. "Throw your knife down." The boy whispered.

I nodded and I aimed my knife right above the girl (from 1) with the bow and arrows. Oh...that's where they went... I dropped the knife right above her chest. It went straight in and got lost on the way. The girl did her last breath and she didn't wake up. I look up and the boy and girl give me a thumbs up and they smile at me. I give a weak smile back and I look back down to see the girl spewing blood. I almost gagged. I then remembered the girl I killed at the Cornucopia.

I start climbing down and so do the boy and girl I jump the rest of the way and grab the dead girl's weapons. The boy and girl jumped down after me. Alex woke up and he threw his knife straight at me. I ducked and drew back an arrow and aimed it at him. Instead it hit a boy from 3. I watched him drop to the ground lifeless. I gasped. I never meant to do that.

I turn away briskly and I grab the boy and girl's arm, "C'mon!" I drag them through the forest dodging knives, arrows, and other weapons.

We make it to an ocean and we sit there in the sand panting. I lay down and so do the boy and girl. “I’m Ashlyn by the way.” I say in between breaths.

“I’m Jordan,” says the boy, “and this is Christina.”

“How old are you both?” I ask. I run my fingers through the sand.

“We’re both fourteen.” Jordan said. “And we’re from 10.”

“I’m sixteen and I’m from 12.”

“We know.” Jordan says. Christina nods along.

“Looks like y’all did your research.” I poke Christina.

She smiles at me and nods. Jordan runs his hands through his hair. “Thanks for saving me by the way.” I say.

“No problem.” Jordan says.

“What made you decide to do that?” I ask him.

“No reason.” Jordan shrugs slightly.

“Is it Aaron?” I whisper. “Did he die?”

“No. It’s just that . . . he’s planning to kill you. I overheard him talking with the Careers.” He said. “He’s waiting for you to find him. That’s when he’ll strike.”

That’s . . . unexpected. “Oh,” I say, “thank you, Jordan.”

He shrugs again. “Let’s play Favorites.” I say to change the subject.

“Okay. What’s that?”

“A game where you say your favorite things. Like, if I ask you what your favorite color is, you’ll say it. Understand?” Jordan and Christina nod. “Ok, good. Jordan, what’s your favorite color?”

“Blue. But not the sky blue. Like, midnight blue.” He says.

“Cool. What’s your favorite color, Christina?”

Christina smiled, “Pink. Sunset pink.”

“My best friend, Sari,” I say, “that’s her favorite color too.”

“Cool,” Christina whispers.

“So are we allies now?” Jordan asks me.

I nod, “Yes.”

***

The sky grows dark and the fallen tributes appear in the sky. The girl from 1 (that I killed) and the boy from 3 (that I killed). They were the only ones that died today. Guilt rises up within me and I look down. Jordan and Christina are sound asleep and I’m keeping watch. I’m not going to kill anyone else in the Games. I’ve already done enough damage. Even though the girl from 1 was trying to kill me she still didn’t deserve to die. Neither did the boy from 3. Actually . . . no one deserves to die. After President Snow died his granddaughter took over. She’s even more crueller than he was I believe. So she was the one who continued the Games. Otherwise, we’d all be alive in our Districts living it up. I lay down on my back and I play with my knife, careful not to drop it on myself. Because one accidental drop could end my life and Jordan and Christina would be all alone and they’d have to fend for themselves in the cruel humanity of the Games.

I looked up at the sky after I sit up once again. There’s no water. We can’t drink the salt water because it’ll only make us even more dehydrated and it’s seriously bad for you unless you boil it. I think Jordan, Christina, and I will last a little longer. Then, we can find some fresh water. I was watching the Quarter Quell with my mom and dad. Maybe there are water in the trees. I don’t know maybe.

I close my eyes and I drift off to sleep after getting one last look at my surroundings.

***

Here is the long chapter! Ha! I practically kept my promise! Hope you enjoy this chapter! Vote, add, and comment! <3

-Johanna