Chapter Two

I walked to the Reaping with my mom and dad. Before I got in line for a Peacekeeper to prick my finger I turned and my parents took turns hugging me. I embraced them and I held back tears and closed my eyes.

•FLASHBACK•

The Peacekeeper grabbed my arms, hard. I screamed and I tried to fight. A crowd was beginning to form and no one would help me. "Help!" I screeched. "Someone help me!"

The Peacekeeper grabbed my neck and held me in the air, "Shut up you little thief!"

I started gagging and he let go of me. Then grabbed my arms again. "I would never steal anything! I swear!"

"Shut up!" He growled.

He dragged me to the Public Torchure place. Oh my God. I think. This is it. I am done for.

•END OF FLASHBACK•

I opened my eyes and I walked away from my parents. The female peacekeeper held out her hand indicating me to give her my finger. I shove my finger at her and she pricks it. It hurt a little but not much. The scanner beeped and I knew what that means. That Ashlyn Mellark has signed in and she is able to get chosen for the Games.

I stand in the section of sixteen year old girls. My friends, Casalane, Sari, and Gracelyn stand next to me. Gracelyn Donner is Madge's daughter an so is Casalane. And Sari is Gale and his wife, Jenny's daughter. Mom hasn't seen Gale since we moved from District 13 back to 12 to find that the Capitol just burned stuff and said it was the ruins of 12. Sari turns to me and whispers into my ear, "Do you think I will get picked?"

"Let's not jinx it." I whispered back.

"If I get picked," Gracelyn thought, "are your parents going to be my mentors?"

"Most likely." I replied. Effie walked up to the podium and taped the microphone. "Now let's shut up before those damn Peacekeepers come." I say.