Chapter Eight

Giovanna was walking through the supermarket, finding comfort in the fact that there were so many people around. She was scared that she had pissed Anna off, sure she was Anna's friend but people had been killed for less. But then again it had been weeks since she had stormed out of Anna's room and Anna was probably still celebrating the victory in trial two weeks ago. She jumped when her phone rang and she saw it was Anna, she would hang up but as soon as her phone rung everyone had slowly filed out of the shop and every security camera turned away.

"Anna."

"Hello Giovanna, you're lucky I need your help. Jamie is off the rails, they're going to do something"

"Like what? There's nothing they can do." Giovanna said, dejectedly.

"The only way to get the death penalty passed was to have a rule that anyone involved in the case can object to the ruling at any time."

"And, what can I do."

"Kill them"

"You're not serious? I thought Xorsheed did your dirty work."

"Too obvious, they're scared, they are staying in the court house, or moving in large groups."

"What if I refuse"

"Look around you Giovanna, no one to hear you scream."

"You actually used that line"

"Yes! "

"Well, I choose to die"

"Oh, it's not just you. No, your family, your pets, your friends. Everyone you love everyone you care about will die unless you do this. So this isn't one life against another, this is one life against hundreds"

"Okay"

"I thought we would come to an agreement, this is her number" Anna said and gave Giovanna Jamie's number.

Giovanna took a deep breath and tried to convince herself that this wasn't a selfish act, that she was doing it for others. That this was about the quantity of lives being saved. She dialled the number.

"Hello, this is Giovanna Demopolous-"

"Are you working with Anna!"

Fuck, shit, balls. Giovanna thought. "I was, but I want to help now."

"You want to help." they laughed "Oh great, you want to help now." There was a pause "There is one way you can help, with the new rule there's a special clause. Anyone on the case, even the prosecutor can object to the ruling if they have enough evidence."

"Okay, I'll do that but I can't talk now, Anna's probably bugged this room and the phone. Come to my offices"

"Won't that look suspicious"

"I'm a therapist, book an appointment"
"Well, that's going to be brilliant for my career"

"It won't be completely bad, you have a sound reason. You sent your best friend to her death."

"Thanks for reminding me."

"Meet me in an hour, I'm free then."

"Where?" Giovanna gave them the address and an hour later they set out, subconsciously making sure no one from the office saw them.

Jamie stood inside the office before hurrying into a taxi. For obvious reasons Jamie couldn't go with a group of people and was duly nervous. As soon as the taxi stopped they ran out and rung the doorbell for Giovanna's office as fast as they could and ran inside when allowed. They knocked on the door to the office and were let in by Giovanna into a large room. Giovanna walked behind a large, mahogany desk which was in front of a large window and Jamie sat on a leather couch opposite her. Giovanna fidgeted for a bit with the draws before drawing out a gun.

"I'm so sorry, but I have to. You're getting too powerful for Anna's liking. I really don't want to do this but Anna's threatening everyone I care about, everyone I love."

"And I'm the price for their lives. I feel honoured that my life is equal to several other lives."

"Jamie, this is serious" Giovanna said, moving her shaking arm towards Jamie's head.

"You won't shoot me, your hands shaking."

Quick as lightning Giovanna aimed the gun at Jamie's leg and fired. Blood darkened the blue trouser leg and Jamie crumpled onto the floor and slowly sat up while pressing her palms over the wound, trying to stop it bleeding.

"I'm sorry Jamie, I truly am. But don't underestimate what I would do for the people I love" Giovanna said tears running down her face.

"I...I understand. Shoot me now, save your family. Do it." Jamie whispered. "But now I was doing this for my family, because my family has always been, and always will be my friends. And I think you are my friend, so please shoot me in the head, please make this pain stop. Save your family, but help me save my family, please. Save Sarah, please." They begged, taking deep breaths to try and control the pain they felt.

Giovanna aimed at Jamie's head, closed her eyes and pulled the trigger. The shot rung out and blood pooled on the carpet as Jamie's body collapsed on the floor, dead.