A New Character - Chapter 16

"Adela!! where is that ridiculous girl?" feeling agitated the hysterical stepmother paced the floor of the parlor. "ADELA!!"

Cleaning her hands on the ash stained towel around her waste Adela rushed up the stairs. "Yes stepmother?" she asked anxiously. 

Whenever Regina felt the need to pace everyone in the house knew that to disturb her was to take your life in your own hands. 

"There you are! I am certain I have gone hoarse from calling out your name so many times! What kept you?" throughout this diatribe Regina continued to wring her hands and pace.

Adela lowered her head and replied, "Forgive my tardiness stepmother, I was cleaning the soot from the stove in the kitchen."

"Hah! I should have known. You are a wonderful little chimney-sweep." she said in a cruel falsely caring tone.

Adela grit her teeth but, as usual, said nothing.

"Now dear, I have news and you will pay special attention to my requests."

Adela knew that these 'requests' were, in fact, non-negotiable orders but she nodded her head and her stepmother continued.

"Have I ever mentioned my mother to you Ella?"
Adela was astonished. She certainly had not anticipated the conversation heading in this direction.

"No madam, you have not."

"I have ever once spoken of her to anyone else that you know of? Even my own daughters? Have you ever heard me once mention her?"
Adela shook her head mystified as to what all this could be adding up to.

"Does that not seem to suggest something to you?!" Regina continued angrily, now standing still and towering over poor Adela.

She had no idea how to properly respond to these, seemingly erratic line of questioning. Answering 'yes' meant there was a chance she would be punished for being impertinent. Then again, if she answered 'no' there was an even greater chance she would be punished for the simple reason that 'yes' was the proper answer and of course in both cases the opposite applied.

These conflicting emotions battling inside of her Adela could only stare at Regina which seemed to further irk her.

"Of course!" she spat throwing her hands into the air. "Blank stares are what I get for asking questions of the help! The answer is yes, the answer..... is YES!"
Adela had never seen her stepmother act quite this deranged before. Desperately she looked at the stairs hoping against hope that Rebecca would come to rescue her, or even her horrible stepsisters would flounce to her rescue. It was a vain hope.

Regina did not seem to notice her momentary lapse of attention. She continued.

"I have not seen my mother in 15 years and I had hoped to make it 16 but it seems she has felt the need to concern herself his me once more. She wishes to visit and examine my new home and that can only mean one thing for you my dear."

Adela cringed inwardly.

"I want this home to be as pristine as possible which, along with your other chores of course, will be your personal responsibility. If my mother finds as much as one measly speck of dust on these floors I will personally make your life a living hell. Understood?"

"That's impossible!"

There was a moments silence. Adela had covered her mouth with her hand wondering what had possibly possessed her to talk back to her stepmother. Regina was frozen but when she turned to face Adela there was nothing icy about her gaze.

"What did you say my dear?" Regina voice was quiet and calm and at that moment Adela thought she had never heard something so frightening.

"I-i-i, n-n-n-nothing stepmother." Adela stammered out.

"I should hope not dear. You should be aware that one misstep from you and I will personally burn every book your father ever owned. They really are such an eyesore. Also, I have always wanted to convert that dust-infested study of his into a music room for my little darlings. Don't tempt me to make that a reality."

"Yes stepmother."

"Good, then leave now."

Adela turned to go but as she was making her way down the stairs she heard Regina's voice follow after her.

"And Ella dear? If you ever question me again you will be severely punished."