The Loss of a Loved One - Chapter 2

Adela learned something that day at the picnic. For the first time in her young life she realized that not everything is as it seems and just because someone looks happy doesn't mean they really are. Her father and mother were just as wonderful as they had always been but she noticed her mother's hands shaking as she accepted her glass and her father's tender but constant watchfulness.

She was puzzled by this and somehow she knew that had to do with the strange man she had seen exiting their home. Adela's musings were abruptly halted when she heard her mother calling her name.

"Yes mother?" she asked looking up into the wonderously kind face.

"Would you like to sit with me dear?"

Adela clambered up onto the chaise her mother was laying on and tucked the shawl covering her mother's feet more securly. 

"Thank you Adela. Now, I have something important to tell you and you have to promise to listen carefully."

 Adela was frightened by the gravity in her mothers eyes but she nodded her head and snuggled closer.

"Darling, there may be a time very soon that you won't be able to see me anymore." she began softly. Adela started up and looked at her in panic. "It will be alright though I promise!" her mother continued swiftly.

"Its just that I learned that I won't be able to stay with you and your father for as long as I had hoped." at this Adela was even more startled to see a tear falling from her mother's eye.

"But why? Are you going away? Can't you stay with us mother? Forever?"
Hugging her tightly her mother whispered, "I wish so much that I could my little rabbit but there are some things that we don't have the power to reverse and this is one of them. I have to go someplace you will think is very, very far. You must remember though, as far as you may think it is I will always be near your heart."

"But mother, I don't want you to go!" Adela whimpered.

Her father came over to them from where he had been sitting and he to had tears in his eyes. His voice slightly gruffer than usual he took Adela onto his lap and said, "Don't you worry pet, we are going to be alright and your mother will always be with us even if we won't be able to see her all the time."

"Darling girl, there is one thing I want you to remember and hold close to forever. I want you to always try to be gentle and kind. That doesn't mean you can't yell or laugh loudly with joy, it simply means that you must look after others before you do yourself. You will find that happiness will find you if you do."
Adela was sobbing now but managed to nod her head. Her mother leaned over and hugged her father and herself and they stayed that way in the garden for a very long time. Though the sun shone brightly that day and the wind was warm and carressing there was not a more sad day Adela could ever remember as that one.