Chapter Three

Sorry for the wait...my...tortoise... Lois went missing so, I had to set-up a search team for her.

Chapter Three

"Excuse me?" A deep, thickly accented voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Oh, yes. I'm sorry." I smiled apologetically.

"I said that I want the dinner special today." His eyes peered into my own, a slight smirk on his face. I glanced over his features, which had some appeal. His russet brown hair was sticking out from his worn-out blue baseball cap, his jaw was defined. His nose was slightly crooked, giving me the impression he played sports or had been in a fight. He looked like the type.

"Okay, and how would you like your steak cooked?" I shifted my pen towards the pad once again.

"Medium." He smiled sweetly.

"Alright, I'll get that out as soon as possible." I turned to leave but, a force wrapped around my wrist and spun me back around.

"Take your time."

I laughed softly before turning away, once again and walking behind the counter to put the order in with our Chef. 

"If I didn't know any better, it looks like table sixteen has his eyes on you." Gloria's voice whispered in my ear.

"No, Gloria. He was actually asking about you." I laughed.

Gloria was in her late 60's, she had worked at the diner her entire life. It was after all, her mothers. If anyone knew the struggle to stay afloat, it'd be Gloria. How she kept this place up was beyond me.

"What, hun? You don't think I got it in me anymore?" She laughed heartily.

"Well, you could prove it." I smiled cheekily back.

With that Gloria swayed her hips and strutted to Mr. sixteen. I could faintly hear the sound of her voice introducing herself but, I could clearly see the look of shock cross the man's face.

Minutes later, his food was ready. I walked over, plate in hand, and set it on the table. His eyes looked into my own, silently begging for me to intervene.

It's one thing I learned while working here, you can never stop Gloria.

She smiled knowingly, that she had successfully taken over. I chuckled lowly to myself before, leaving the hopelessly romantic couple alone and tending to the other customers.

"-and I hear he already bought up the Woodridge's fourty acres." Peggy's shocked voice drawled out, as I refilled their coffees. 

"Did you hear about this, Hanley?" Lucy inquired anxiously.

"Hear about what?"

"This man in town has bought out the hardware store and a couple of farms already!" Peggy gushed.

"Really? Frank sold it? I would've never had thought that he'd be one of the firsts to go." I shook my head absentmindedly.

"Yes, we know." Lucy responded, while adding creamer.

"Do you know his name?" I asked curiously.

"Nope, I heard he's in his 50's and he's as rude as they come!" Peggy once again blurted, with total rage.

"Calm down there, Peggy. I think it'll be alright." I cooed.

"Alright? This whole town is washing away." She replied, sipping her black coffee.

"We'd need a miracle to last through winter." Lucy added.

As I left the two alone, thoughts scattered my own brain. We would need a miracle to last through winter. Heck, I would need a miracle to last through summer.

My shift at the dinner ended shortly after. My tips totaling $16.93.

Only $32,966.44 more dollars to go.

I left my window down for the drive home. The heat filled the car, along with the dust.

The dust.

The dust that kept everything from happening.

It was the dust that was holding all of us back.

Dust.

The wind that was carried through my open windows, caused my hair to fly wildly. The sun warmed my left arm, that was resting on the window seal. It's small moments like these, where I'm able to let go.

Forget.

Forget about my responsibilities and what I have to do. I'm able to be free, like a bird. Soaring through the heat of the day.

Letting my worries and thoughts go.

Letting myself go.

Flying away to a place where water falls endlessly, where trees and plants are green and rich. A place where everyone is happy. A place where we feel alive.

But everyday, my moment ends as I drive down the ranch's driveway.

No longer can I day dream. This is reality.

And I need to survive.

We all need to survive. Ruth and Harry need to survive. Gloria, Red, Lucy, Peggy - everyone in this rainless town needed to survive. How, I have no clue.

I park my truck in it's usual spot, in front of one our main barn. Shutting the growling engine down with the turn on my wrist on the key. I unbuckled my seatbelt, reaching over and grabbing my things before, opening the door. With a small slam of the old door, I take in the truck that was already parked beside mine. A newer truck, probably a 2009 or so but, in excellent condition.

Nonetheless it was new and by new, I mean, new and unfamiliar. I had never seen it before, not around town. Especially, not at our ranch.

As I walk to the front porch, I quickly shove the folders from the bank concerning the loan into my purse. I wouldn't want my grandparents to see them. I turn the small corner, making my way down the short path to the front porch.

There my grandpa sits in his rocking chair and seated beside him, is a familiar face.

A  freshly familiar face.

"Hanley, you're back," My grandpa's voice rings, "I'd like you to meet Hunter."