chapter 17

Atticus stopped his car to the gas station for a quick refill, food, and bathroom break.

"So nice to see you not playing your games for a change..." Forte said to Cherry as they stood together.

"I guess..." Cherry shrugged as she had her hands in her pockets. "What a road trip just to bring a bunch of dogs back home."

"They are really important to their owners." Mo said.

"Yeah, but I don't understand why I had to come..." Cherry looked moodier than normal.

"How about the worthy cause of giving something good to someone you care abotu?" Forte prompted.

"I guess..." Cherry shrugged.

"You are one confusing girl." Forte said.

"You made me this way..." Cherry reminded him.

Forte looked away from her then. Cherry rolled her eyes while Atticus filled up the gas tank and she munched on some candy she bought. It took a while, but the gas tank was finally filled up and they were ready to continue their journey.

"Let's get going then." Mo said as they went back to their seats.

Cherry yawned again and leaned against the window, slowly shutting her eyes again. Atticus started the car up and drove off with them to find the dogs in time. Speaking of which Patch, Colette, and the Buddies were continuing their journey.

They ended up near a large body of water before them.

"Can't go over it, can't go around it," Buddha commented. "MudBud, I've got bad news: You're about to take a bath."

"Dude, I'm already clean!" MudBud refused. "I just took a mud bath!"

"On the positive side, there's no soap." Buddha told them before going into the water.

"I'll carry you, MudBud." Patch said.

"Okay, fine, fine!" MudBud gave in.

The Buddies went into the murky water, but it would be a lot cleaner than the mud and it was the only way to pass.

Colette was a little nervous, she put one paw in the water and shuddered, shaking her head in disgust. "I... I can't... It's just not my place as a house dog..."

"Come on, Colette, this is the only way to get to the other side, I'll be right by your side the whole way across the water." Patch said.

Colette sighed, she took a deep breath and joined them into the water. "Oh, that's cool and refreshing..." she smiled once she accepted it.

The Buddies were going further and ended up on the shore on the other side, shaking themselves dry.

"That was so refreshing." Rosebud said.

They made it out of the water and passed through as they got deeper into the forest.

"Stick together, it can be easy to get lost in a forest." Patch advised the Buddies since he knew what it was like.

"Yes, sir." the Buddies said. They were a little scared though, but they had to do this to save their parents.

Patch went in front of the Buddies while Colette went behind them in an effort to help comfort them and help them through the forest without any trouble.

"Hey, guys, can we stop to get a bite to eat?" Budderball asked.

The Buddies sighed at their bottomless stomached brother as they kept going through the forest.

Colette sniffed something off, she looked very cautious, but she kept up with the Buddies, but she was starting to worry now.

"I'm sensing this way is true north." Buddha spoke up.

"Well, your compass is stone-cold busted, dog, because we just came from that way!" B-Dawg whined.

"I don't care which way we go, as long as it has food." Budderball said.

"Why don't you stop thinking about your stomach for once!?" B-Dawg grew agitated.

"Dude, why don't you stop thinking about yourself for once?" MudBud retorted.

"I don't even know why I bother with you guys!" Budderball started to fight them.

"Oh, no, this adventure's really getting to them..." Colette was now worried.

"Stop fighting!" Patch exclaimed as he began to separate the three brothers.

"Yes, we have to work together as a team if we're ever going to find Mom and Dad!" Buddha agreed firmly.

"Guys...?" B-Dawg suddenly got nervous. "I feel like someone is watching me..."

"He's right!" MudBud whimpered.

A silver wolf growled and came up to behind the Buddies, Patch, and Colette.

"Buddies, there's only one thing for us to do." Patch said.

"RUN!" one of the Buddies called, making them all run away then.

Patch and Colette joined them, causing for the wolf to chase after them. The wolf tricked them as they ran and ended up in front of them, looking very hungry and not at all friendly.

"I am puppy," Rosebud walked out. "Hear me rooooarrr!"

The wolf glanced at her, not impressed.

"Don't you dare hurt my brothers or friends!" Rosebud snarled.

"You are very brave, little one..." the wolf remarked.

"I definitely take back what I said about girls." B-Dawg whispered.

"Yeah, some of us girls can be quite furious." Colette whispered.

"Girl power all the way!" B-Dawg continued.

"It's not safe for you pups alone in the forest," the wolf said. "At least you have some guidance. Follow me, I won't harm you."

"This isn't a trick, is it?" Patch asked in caution.

"The girl one stood up for me, I owe my life to you now." the wolf insisted, showing he was now going to help them and not hurt them.

"Okay, we'll follow you." Patch said, trusting the wolf.

"I sure hope Mom and Dad are okay." MudBud said as they continued, now following the wolf.

"I'm sure that they're alright, MudBud." Colette said.

The wolf made sure they all kept up as he led them to where he wanted to take them. He was sure they would like it a lot better than this spooky old forest.

"Excuse me, but are most wolves like you?" Colette asked.

"Some, it depends on who will stand up to us and who will back down, we are very selective," the wolf said as he guided them. "Sometimes, if you are in need, we can help... The tribe before me took in a man cub by the name of Mowgli and raised him like their own."

"Really?" Patch asked. "So, where is he now?"

"He lives in a man village with a tribe of people, so he may be safe." The wolf said.

"He didn't stay with you in the forest?" Rosebud asked.

"Oh, no," the wolf shook his head. "He was given a choice and it was decided best that he stays in the man village where he truly belongs."

"That makes sense." Patch said.

"I wonder what he's doing now then?" Colette smiled.

"Who knows?" the wolf sighed, but smiled as well, glad that Mowgli made the right choice to stay with his original home.