Chapter Four

We both got up and walked out of his office. He took my hand and led me to another office, this time much larger and more windows. Jim knocked on the door and we waited a moment until we heard a "It's open!" from the inside. When Jim opened the door, I saw a woman buried in papers and files sitting behind a large desk. She glanced up at us, and once she saw me, she said, "Do we need to file a lost child report?" Jim looked at me, and then at the commissioner. "Well, not necessarily..." He let go of my hand and walked up to the commissioner and was whispering to her close to her ear. I was watching her facial expression. Watching it go from confusion, to shock, and then to bewilderment. When they were done whispering to each other, Jim backed away and looked at me again. I took one more glance at the woman, and saw that she had a friendly smile on her face. "I would love to. I've been looking anyways." I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. Jim cleared his throat and said, "Harley, I want you to meet my commissioner in chief, Miss Sarah Essen. I think it would be good for you if you went home with her for a few weeks. She will take good care of you, just like your mom would." I was shocked, and being six years old, I really had no say in the decision. I shook my head in response and I went up to Miss Essen and shook her hand. "Hi," I said to her, "I'm Harley Autumn." She smiled at me again and said "I'm Sarah. Please, call me Essen. I'm looking forward to making friends with you, and getting to spend time with you!" I was beginning to like this woman, very much.