Chapter Fifteen

Well, It was finally October seventeenth. I climbed to the top of the newspaper building, clutching one on my knives. I thanked Essen for another skill I had adapted. Well, maybe not adapted... more like learned. When I was younger, she made sure I was in gymnastics and that I did well in it. She would push me to be the best I could be. When I had become top of my class, she told me she was happy that I could do all of the things. Collecting my thoughts again, I took a deep breath and continued climbing. When I got to the top, I surveyed the area. Not realizing that I was holding in my breath, I exhaled when I was sure I was safe. "Cool it," I muttered to myself, "everything's gonna be okay." God, I hoped so. Walking over to the edge of the building, gazing over the horizon of the city. You know, this city wasn't horrible. Filled with bad people? Yes. A bad city? No. Come on, you have to admit that it was beautiful. I let the soft glow engulf me, I let the sounds of late night traffic just enchant me. Part of me hoped that I could just slip into a fantasy wonderland; a getaway permanent break from reality. Bowing my head again, I sighed deeply. As much as I didn't want to, I cried again. Not about Essen, but about my life. Starting from the beginning, I went over my boring early life. My parents were decent, but I led quite a uninteresting life. I got up in the morning, ate breakfast while my dad poured his coffee and while my mom watched the news. Then I would get dressed ans she as off to school. That's how things always worked, until they fucking left. My life after that was pretty great, I have to admit. I loved Sarah. I really did.
What was I doing up here now? Risking my life for some crazy lunatic? Going on a suicide run out of anger and bitter revenge? I was disappointed in myself. And I knew Sarah would be too. I couldn't waste my life right now, after all Essen did for me. Backing away from the ledge, I turned to go back and go home.I was walking and what happened really made me jump. I was honestly quite shocked when I ran into something quite tall, warm, and firm. Glancing up, I was met with indigo eyes that shined even in the darkness. "Hey ya, gorgeous... Happy to see me?"