Chapter Two

I guess I should back up a bit. My name is Harley Autumn. I work for the Gotham City Police Department. I joined this team at just 17 years old, and I have aquired many many skills to take down bad guys in Gotham City. When I was about 6, my parents left me to fend for myself. I got up on that brisk November morning, suspecting nothing of my parents' departure. When I stumbled out of bed, I was met with an unusual silence in the house. Normally when I wake up, my mom had turned on the news, or my dad was making coffee in an obnoxiously loud coffee maker. I called out to both of my parents. Trying not to panic, I sat down on the couch, thinking about what might have happened. They could be out running errands, I had thought to myself... but they would have left a note. I glanced over at the telephone, and noticed that there was a message on the machine. Picking up the phone with shaking hands, I listened to the message. After about a minute, I had dropped the phone on the floor and I was quaking with sobs. I don't quite recall how long I was on the ground for, but it was easily about two hours. I ran into my room and grabbed my most prized possessions. My favorite stuffed animal, Mr. Kitty, for example. I grabbed my backpack and filled it with the warmest clothes I could find at that moment. I went into the kitchen and took some crackers and fruit from the cabinet, and went to get my key. Grabbing it, I rushed out without looking back. I needed to get to Jim Gordon. He was one of the few people I could trust right now.