Prologue

"Ashen! Wake up!" A gray she kit woke up, blinking her large eyes in surprise. Her twin brother was jumping around her, squeaking and mewing.

Ashen yawned and questioned him.
"What..? What happened?"
Her brother had never been so energetic.

"They're exiling mom and dad!"
Ashen Furs was surprised. What did they do to cause this? Her kit mind could hardly handle the news. She got to her paws and tumbled out of the den, her twin following close behind.
They were about to get closer to the group of adults, but we're pulled back by a fawn she cat.
"Racing Tail, we want to see mom and dad!"

The she cat simply shook her head, her tail drooping. She scooped up the two kits, bringing them close to her kit swollen belly. Ashen glared up at the young mother, then looked away, knowing why she was holding them back. Their parents might try to carry them with, or they might be exiled with them.

Usually if a cat was exiled along with their mate, and they have kits, the whole family has to leave. That's what happened to Tawny, their previous den mate. Her mother was exiled and she had to go too.
Ashen looked over to Tattered, who was staring sadly at the group of adults and apprentices.

They couldn't see them, but their parents were likely in the front or center of the group, being convicted of their crimes. Ashen heard the words spying and Boltclan, and her pelt bristled.
She felt Racing Tail smooth down her fur, trying to comfort the kit. Ashen let out a mew of thanks, and the mother gave a small smile, then started to groom Tattered.

They soon saw cats parting and their parents starting to depart. Their father looked over at them, frowning a bit at Racing Tail, as if disgusted by the care she was giving his kits. The two gray cats were soon out of the camp. The leader, Harsh Bite, dipped his head to three warriors, who soon left after Ashen and Tattered's parents, probably to chase them the rest of the way out of the territory.

Ashen watched and soon turned, going back into the nursery, her brother and Racing Tail following behind her. She guessed Harsh Bite told the mother to take care of them. They were almost apprentices anyway, and they'd probably leave the best before she has her own kits.