Chapter Eight

The car ride back from the alley was, weird to say the least. Rian and Kara were murmuring and giggling to each other in the back of the car. Alex turned up the radio and sang along with everything. There was literally not one song he didn’t know. I sat there watching the road ahead. Jack was quiet too. The worst part was, we were in the same positions, pushed up right next to each other.

When we showed up to the Dorm, it was 1 am. I sighed knowing how tired, and not to mention hung-over I would be in the morning. This was not a smart choice on my part.

“You guys need help finding your dorm.” Alex winked seductively towards me.

Jack accidentally elbowed him in the ribs, “No, man come on, we have to get to sleep.” He said more annoyed than I had ever seen him.

“Well, I should probably take Kara up; she looks ready to pass out.” Rian said.

“Kay,” I replied before grabbing the door to get in the building.

The five of us piled into the elevator and it started to rise. I tried my hardest to avoid eye contact with everyone. Kara was asleep on Rian’s shoulder, Jack started at the ground angrily, and Alex stood there, seemingly confused why everyone was acting so strange.

The elevator reached the second floor. Alex turned to me, “So how bouts a good night kiss, huh?” He half smiled. I averted my attention to the buttons on the side. Jack grabbed Alex’s arm and pulled him out.

“Dude…” was all I heard as the elevator door closed.

It was silent for a second.

“You know, Jack hasn’t told Alex yet.” I looked up at Rian.

“And what does that have to do with anything?” I raised an eyebrow.

“You don’t think that everyone in the audience didn’t notice you guys looking at each other like you found your soul mate? And I don’t even know what to say to Jack. He’s not gonna want to talk to Alex, Jen, Alex doesn’t know anything. He’s gonna want to talk to me. And if he tells Alex-“

“I get it, Ry.” I said putting my face in my hand. “I messed up. It was a harmless kiss.” The door opened on the third floor and I stepped out. Rian carried sleeping Kara bridal style to the door.

I opened the door and let Rian put Kara down on her bed before I walked in. He just shook his head, “All I’m saying, Jen, is that if you get both of them to fall for you, shit will go down.” He headed towards the door, “So make a decision fast.” He said before shutting the door and walking down the stairs.

Like my other interesting night before, I could not get to sleep faster. Kara murmured incoherent things in her sleep as she tossed and turned. Note to self- no alcohol for Kara.

The alarm sound rang in my ears in an ongoing echo. It was almost deafening. My head ached as I lifted my hand to turn it off. I questioned why I even thought about drinking last night.

I looked over at Kara who was face down on her bed, looking like she was almost dead.

“Kara?” I shook her a little. “Kara!” I yelled a little louder, hurting my own head.

“What?” I heard her say angrily, into her pillow.

“Time to get up.” I said, regretfully.

She turned over on her back to face me.

“No, I won’t get up and besides-“ She stopped talking and her face turned a nice pale shade of white.

“Kara?” I asked cautiously.