Chapter Four

Chapter Four

"Yeah, can I just get a medium fudge brownie milkshake please," I smiled at the bubbly cashier in the ice cream place.

"That'll be $5.50!"

I reached into my pocket to take out my wallet, but Damien smacked my hand away and pulled out a stack of cash.

My eyes instantly went wide at the amount of money in his hand. He just pulled it out of his pocket like it was nothing.

"Damien! Put that away before someone robs you!" I whisper-yelled.

"I'd like to see someone try," he slapped a twenty down on the counter and waited for the girl to give him change.

The girl gave him the remaining amount of money and some change, which he dropped in the tip jar right beside the register. Pulling me to the side to wait for my shake, he stood there silently as I just blatantly stared at him.

I couldn't help it. It was bugging me.

"Where did you get all of that money?"

His eyes flickered to me for a second before he looked away again. Don't tell me he is going to hide this too. I'm sick of all the secrecy.

"Work pays well," he answered bluntly.

"And what do you do for work exactly?" I pressed, hoping he would give in eventually.

"Medium fudge brownie milkshake!" the girl behind the counter said a little too loudly while setting my shake on the counter along with a straw. Of course she would interrupt us right after I ask that question.

Thanking the girl in the process, I grabbed my ice cream and made my way to a table in the corner while Damien followed me like a loyal puppy.

I sat in the chair, sipping my milkshake as I contemplated if I should press further for information about Damien's job, or if I should just ignore it altogether.

"You're awfully quiet over there," I joked.

Damien didn't answer, oddly enough. His eyes were focused somewhere off in the distance, and his expression remained hard. I turned around to find out what he was looking at, only to see a couple of guys staring back at him from across the street.

The guys didn't look all too friendly; in fact, they looked like straight up troublemakers to me.

There were three of them, and they all made their way to the ice cream shop causing Damien to stiffen and clench his jaw.

As they entered, the guy in the front smiled at Damien, "long time no see, Damien."

His smile and his words didn't hold any trace of sincerity, and I looked at Damien in confusion. Who were these guys?

The same man who talked was the same one to look me up and down, making me extremely uncomfortable.

"Who's the redhead?" he nodded his chin in my direction.

Damien's hands automatically formed into a fist, which is telling me that something is wrong with this picture.

"That's none of your concern," he gritted.

"Oh...don't tell me! This has to be Robin," he turned his vicious smile towards me. "He doesn't talk much, but I hear he spends a lot of his time with you."

The two guys behind him were just smirking down at me, and I didn't know what to do or say. My hands were wrapped tightly around my milkshake, and part of me was shaking, while the other part of me was curious. I looked at Damien for help, but his gaze was settled on the three guys before us.