Chapter Nine

Robin's POV:

"So what's up with you lately, Robin?"

Cody was wheeling the cart of brand new books around the store to put them in their rightful places. It was so satisfying seeing him do some work for once. I'm usually the one to put all of the new books away.

"The past couple weeks have been kind of weird. I mean...with Damien."

I don't know if Cody really wants to hear all about my struggles with Damien. I know he's straight, and I'm pretty sure straight guys do not like to hear about gay guy problems.

"Damien?" He stopped putting away the books to look at me. "Your roommate, yeah?"

"Yeah...you can say that."

"So why are things weird?"

Huh...I'm beginning to think he doesn't really know I'm gay. I mean...I never outright told him that I was. I just assumed that it was kind of obvious. I don't know, maybe it isn't.

"You do know I'm gay, right?" I asked awkwardly.

Cody just nodded his head and went back to shelving the new books. He bobbed his head to the beat of the song playing over the loud speakers, but you could tell he was still listening to our conversation.

"Damien is my best friend. Naturally, sometimes...you get feelings for your best friend. Feelings that you can't totally help. Part of me thinks that he feels the same way...the other part says that he's confusing these feelings with pure friendship."

"I see," Cody smiles. "You should know this because you are a guy, but us guys are so easy to read. I'm sure if you feel like he likes you...he likes you. I don't know much about how it works with gay people. You know, because some of them are afraid to actually come out, but I'm sure if you ask him, he'd tell you how he felt."

I bit my lip and thought about it. He did make sense. I don't think Damien would be that type of person to hide what he felt. He never cared about what anyone had to say about him. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

The last few weeks were not as awful as I made them seem to Cody. They were actually pretty good. It was normal. Damien and I did the things we usually do on a daily basis...only, I keep reading into things when I really shouldn't. I am over analyzing something that should be left alone. If he likes me, he likes me and if he doesn't...well...then he doesn't.

"I'm not gay, but you are pretty much the nicest person I know. I feel like your roommate already knows how lucky he is to have you."

My heart melted at that. Did we just have a heart to heart?

"Thanks Cody," I cracked a small smile.

He honestly made me feel a lot better about the situation I was in. I think I just need to take his advice and just ask him. I don't want to be stuck in this constant web of questioning if we are in a relationship or not. It's been like this for as long as I can remember.

"No problem Robin. Why don't you leave a little early? I can cover the rest of your shift. It's the least I can do for all of the times you have covered my ass."

"Really?"

"Yeah," he laughed. "I know, I know, it's strange hearing me say that I will work willingly for once. Don't get used to it...but take advantage of it while it's still being offered."