chapter 8

School was not going well for Eliza and Estelle that much, they were behind a tree together as a group of squirrels came to see them.

"We're glad we get to talk to you guys, you don't know how awful it's been." Estelle said to the squirrels.

"Go on, girls," one squirrel told them with a sympathetic ear. "Tell Reggie your troubles. Oh, um, before you do," he then climbed the tree next to them. "I don't suppose you have any of those cheesy snacks I fancy, eh?"

"Cheese Munchies?" Eliza took out a bag for him. "Right here."

"Brilliant," Reggie buried himself inside the bag in delight. "Now, what's the problem?"

"Oh, we just miss our friends and family." Estelle said.

"Especially in Africa," Eliza added. "Oh, you should see it there, Reggie. I've even met some squirrels who can fly."

"Fly, like a bird?" one squirrel asked her like she was crazy.

"Don't like the sound of that." Reggie added, a little frightened.

"Oh, don't worry, flying squirrels aren't dangerous." Estelle explained to him.

Muffy, Arlene, Felicity, and Sarah walked together and saw what was going on.

"I heard that Eliza's family lives in the jungle in a motor home." Arlene commented.

"And that she bathes where the animals drink." Muffy added pompously.

"Eww!" the girls pinched their noses and giggled as they walked off.

Felicity's happiness was fading the more she hung around these girls. They were nice to her, but not so nice about Eliza or Estelle, which made her feel bad as she walked with her 'new friends' and wondered if she should go back to her new friend and cousin or not.

"Next thing you know, one of them will bring an animal to my room." Sarah laughed, not aware how true that really was.

And where Darwin was now wanting to see how the perfume worked. Estelle and Eliza had run out of food for the squirrels and said goodbye to them.

"Well, at least they seem nice..." Estelle shrugged with an innocent smile.

"Yeah, they do seem nice." Eliza said.

Estelle then walked with Eliza after the squirrels took their leave, but promised to always be there if the girls would need them.

"Well, we better get inside." Estelle said.

"Looks like it's about to rain." Eliza agreed.

After classes, it did in fact rain, and the girls reported indoors for the rest of their day. Eliza was feeling extremely homesick, so she decided to give a call to home. Estelle decided to join her, since their parents were together after all.

"Honey, can you hear us?" Mo called, projecting a little due to the service being weird in other countries.

"It's Mom!" Marianne told Eliza.

"And your dear old Dad!" Nigel added.

"And what was that, honey?!" Marianne and Mo called out.

"We said, has Jomo or Atticus/Dad found Tally, Larvitar, Vulpix, Teddyursa, and Misdreavus?!" Eliza and Estelle told their mothers.

"Sorry, girls, no," Nigel replied apologetically. "In fact, the poachers disappeared without a trace so cleverly that not even Estelle's father can track them down!"

"Oh, tell them about Darwin and Simon..." Mo whispered.

Marianne nodded in agreement.

"Yes, I was leading up to that," Nigel nodded to the women before bringing the phone back up to his ear. "Poodles, I'm afraid we've lost track of Darwin and Felicity's baby brother."