Part Seven

Moses checked over his shoulder for the third time as he ran through the long hallway. The sounds of his feet pounding against the tile floor endlessly reverberated through the small space; he had no idea how long he’d actually been running. As he thought about it, he wasn’t even too sure why he was running, although he knew that he was looking for someone. He finally came to a door at the end of the hallway; this had to be the destination.

                The door had a glass window and Moses peered through it.  There was a small black-haired boy; he couldn’t have been more than ten, tied to a chair that was at a table. Moses somehow instantly knew this was the kid he was supposed to be looking for. Two SEC guards were standing at the other end of the table; they seemed to be addressing the boy. This didn’t look like it was going to end well for the boy, unless someone intervened on his behalf.

                Luckily for the kid, Moses was here for that exact purpose. He needed a plan, just barging in was a sure way to get himself killed. He stood outside of the door, being quiet as possible, and staring through the window, waiting for them to give him an opening.

                He didn’t have to wait very long at all, even though he didn’t end up getting the opening he desired, he was forced into action. He watched them as they spoke to the boy, then something he said must have given them just enough reason. The agents had drawn their guns and were pointing them directly at the kid. There was no doubt in Moses’ mind that the agents would kill a child without any hesitation or remorse. They viewed them as walking time bombs that needed to be controlled and executed swiftly if they were too volatile. If he didn’t do anything he would be witnessing one of the executions right in front of his face.

                Against his better judgment, Moses burst through the door, instantly becoming the target in both of the agents’ crosshairs.

                “Whoa! Stop right there and put your hands where I can see ‘em!?” The larger Sec was barking orders at Moses. As much as he wanted to send the weak agent flying into the wall behind him, he couldn’t be sure he would react fast enough to stop the bullet. Once again, it was smarter to be calm than to act rashly. He raised his hands above his head, palms facing the agents, and complied.

                “You’re one of them aren’t you?” The larger one asked. Moses knew it was a trap, if he answered affirmatively then the agent would be well within his right to shoot and kill him instantly. The laws were idiotic when it came to Soops, but as long as his status was in question he was protected. He wasn’t required to answer the question if it was asked, but agents still had ways of finding out. The agent pulled out a small device, Moses didn’t know what they were called, but he’d seen their purpose a few times. They somehow could tell whether or not a person was a Soop or not.

                The small machine was pointed directly at Moses’s face and after a few seconds it beeped three times in rapid succession. He didn’t know what that meant, but from the large smile that had spread across the agent’s face, something was telling him it wasn’t a good thing for him.

                “We hit the jackpot with this one! Not only is he a G3, but he’s a high priority! The bounty on him is outrageous!” The smaller agent smiled and spoke to his partner.

                “Really? Let me see that thing.”

                The two agents slowly began extending their arms towards each other, keeping their gaze on Moses. As the device passed from one person to the next, it somehow wobbled just a little bit, as if a large gust of wind had knocked it off course. Of course, it was Moses sending a small blast towards the device, trying to make an opening for himself. The Sec agents instantly reacted to keep the device from falling which caused them to shift their attention from Moses slightly for a split second. Big mistake.