Part Nine

"Dude! Do you know how 'leet that is? I can't believe you finally mastered it!"

 The wonder in his friend’s eyes was hidden by the dark black shades that he was wearing, despite the fact that he was indoors. He seemed more excited than his raven-haired friend did about finally nailing the stratagem that had eluded him for so long. Unlike the slick-haired Edward, he didn't have any glasses or accessories hiding his excitement, nor did he need them. He had an air of seriousness about him that achieved that goal effortlessly. The look on his face wasn't one of excitement or contentment like one would expect, rather his expression was stern, his dark eyes hungry for perfection.

"Eddie, don't get too riled up," He finally turned around to face his friend and saw that he had been talking to himself. Eddie was already halfway across the Wreck, waving his hands excitedly in the direction of the faux mountain that had acted as the platform for the unveiling of his friend's new trick. He slid his hand to the top of his head, sliding it through his short black hair, wondering just why it was that he chose to be friends with such a hothead. There was no doubt in his mind that Eddie had already begun bragging to everyone about him, with just as much pride and fervor as if he was boasting on his own accomplishments. As the small crowd of people began walking over to the Aerial Practice Station, it was clear that he'd have to put on a show, yet again.

The final people began trickling in, slipping past people in the now-not-so-small crowd until they got a spot they felt was suitable enough to view the spectacle. Eddie pushed himself importantly through the crowd of people until he stood in the middle of the circle facing the onlookers.

"Now, do you remember last time? You know when--what'd you do again last time Jax?" He said, loudly to his friend. It was all a ploy to add to the drama and bravado of the situation. Eddie knew better than anyone what he'd done last time.

"Are you talking about when you cuffed my hands behind my back and threw that fireball at me?" Jax answered loudly, goading his friend's flair for the grandiose along. The more compliant he was, the sooner this would all be over.

"Right! Well, yeah, this next trick is going to make that one look like child's play! Now, before he starts, you have to answer one question for us." Eddie paused, and flashed Jax a smile before cupping his hands around his mouth to amplify his next question. "WHO'S THE BEST SOOP IN THIS GOD FORSAKEN PLACE!?!"

The crowd called back the familiar answer like a group of excited cheerleaders. "JAXON SABLE!!"

Jaxon smiled. "Well, with a crowd like that, how could I say no?" And he began to scale the mountain behind him.

He had climbed it so many times that he knew every groove, grip, and foothold in the towering gray mountain that was made from some artificial rock-like substance. Still, he could almost here Eddie's voice in his ear telling him to up-play the suspense. People love suspense. So even though he could have scaled it perfectly in his sleep, he let his left leg slip from the foothold and acted as if he was about to fall. Holding on to a small ledge with only one hand, he looked down at the crowd, reflecting the expression of fear that was on most of their faces. The only difference was that theirs were genuine.

"Screw this." He said loud enough so that all of them down there could hear. Reaching out with his free hand, while maintaining the grip he had on the ledge, he swiped his arm through the air in a large slicing motion. He felt the familiar feeling of something tearing or coming loose in his hands, locked eyes with some blonde-haired girl in the crowd, and pushed himself off the mountain. He flew through the air for a fraction of a second, the blonde girl now looked as if she was about to faint, and then, quite literally, he vanished into thin air.

He appeared at the top of the artificial platform in time to hear the beginning of gasps from a few unwitting members of the crowd. A few of the members of the crowd had similar knowing smiles on their faces, and others still were scanning the room in search of something...or someone.