Chapter 6 - cool downs

Slowly my eyelids opened.
I had never been in this room of the institute before.
Was it a hospital?

" Violet?" Someone said. 
I tried to lean myself on the hospital bed but it hurt so much.

" how are you feeling?" Josh asked.

" what happened?" I asked. My voice cracked.
" you had a burn up. Do you know what a burn up is ?" He asked. 
When I shook my head, he continued.
" a burn up is when an elemental, in this case you, is so angry that they... Burn themselves and everyone- or everything around them" he said.

" I...i" I started bit didn't know what to say. " how long was I out?"

"3 days" he said.

" 3 days!" I exclaimed.

" yeah....." he said.

" so... Do all of you have to stay here, like forever" I asked. I felt calm.

"I.. I mean I have to stay here anyway" he said. All I could do was cover my face in my hands. But I didn't want to cry. I had to toughen up.

" right " was all I could say.
"when does the real training start?"

" when your ready" he said with a Weak smile on his face.

" now" I said.
I tried to get out of my bed.
But it my vision started to blur up again.
Just as I was about to fall from my position, josh caught me.

" I think we should wait a few more days" he said holding my shoulders and slowly lowering me down onto the bed again.

" this isn't normal, is it?" I asked, seeing the worry in his eyes.

" I've never seen a burn up this bad  but it's not ..." He started.

" when was your first burn up" I interrupted as it always seemed to be me who got the worst of all situations. He sighed as if it was something he hated talking about.

" it was a Long time ago.
When i was 14.
I mean, i always knew I had powers, but my parents didn't... Well my father was an elemental, but he went away when I was a baby and never came back.
So I lived with me mother.
She thought, because she was human, I wouldn't be... Different.
But 1 year after I got my powers, she saw me And threw me out.
I was only 14" he sighed.

" how old are you now?" I asked.
" 18" he replied.

"And how did you end up here?" I asked. " I'm sure you didn't get kidnapped" I laughed. 

" actually, my  dad found me, and sent me here" he said. " well I never really saw his face, but at least I know that he cares for me"

"Yeah, I guess that's nice" I said. " have you ever wondered what he looked like?"

" yeah cuz my my mum threw away all the photos, when he left" he said. "Sometimes I think I have flashbacks of him, but I can never really work out his face "

" what was his name?" I asked truly interested.

" Arthur Fields" he laughed.

" did captin know him too?" I asked.

" you ask a lot of questions. But yes, but it seems no one likes to talk about my father. All I know is he is a very important business man. He gave up his family, the thing he loved the most for his work as elemental"

" sounds very loyal" I added, to make him feel better.

" I gotta go now, but I'll Check on you later" he said and waved goodbye.
Soon all I could see was his dark shadow behind him and he was gone.  So I closed my eyes and fell into a deep sleep.

3 hours later
I woke up to a pair of blue eyes, Michael.

" hey" I said.

"Hey. How you feeling?" he took my hand. For a second I twitched, at the fact he was holding my hand , but then I felt like it was nice to have someone comfort me again. 

" oh sorry.  " He asked, looking at his hand.

" no no it's fine. It's just... So new"
I started.

" I get it. You never had a real family"

"Right" I said feeling a little guilty.

" well I just want you to know, as your big brother, I'm here for you.
I mean, I got spend 2 more years with mum and dad. I think it's only fair I share my memories" he said, and to be honest it was the best thing that I had heard in ages. It made me excited. I wasn't familiar with that emotion so it was a little weird for me.

" here, I brought you something " he said, handing me a piece of paper.

" what is it?" I asked.

" turn it over"  

So I did. It was a picture of a couple with a 3 year old and a 1 year old.

" is this..." I said speechless.

" mum and dad" he laughed.

" i... I don't know what to say"

" she Looks a Lot like you, Mom"
"Really?"

"Yeah"

" so what's your story? I mean like what happened to you after everything happened" I asked.

" pretty much the same as yours, just that I have been here ever since the day they died. They sadly only managed to get me but not you" he said.

" what were mum and dad like?" I asked. Again with that strange emotion.

" always happy, especially mum. And although I don't remember much either, I want you to know my last memory" he said hurt.

" okay..."

" on that night, mum and dad told me, that they loved us. But I remember still hearing how they said that they didn't want you to end up here. I never understood why but Now I do. It was because your too powerful. All their lives they have just been protecting you...." He smiled.

" I love them, although I don't know them"

" me too" he said, getting up.

" please don't go!" I shouted. Immediately regretting it as my throat hurt.

" okay" he said as I moved to the edge of my bed. I lay my head on the pillow next to his and fell asleep once again.