Chapter Twenty-Nine: Rightful Host

Alexander Lykos

I ran my fingers through my hair, it easily slicked back as it was now damp with sweat. I sat upright on my bed with one hand firmly pressed down to support the weight of my upper body, the blankets pooling at my waist, sticking to my bare torso which was slick with sweat. Running a hand down my face, I got out of bed sighing as I looked down at the sheets which had turned slightly darker due to my sweat. I shook my head trying to shake off the eerie dream that had once again haunted my nights, my dark locks stuck firmly to my forehead refusing to budge even when I shook my head. Ignoring the bite of the cold marble tiles against my bare feet, I walked towards my bathroom, sweat still dripped from my hairline to the base of my throat.

Without even taking off my pants I stepped into my shower and closed my eyes as I allowed the hot droplets of water to beat relentlessly against my skin, not caring that my clothes were now sopping wet. I sighed with relief as the pressure and temperature of the water relaxed my tense muscles, a satisfying crack could be heard as I turned my neck, happy to loosen the stiff joints that prevented me from going back to sleep. The heated water continued to wash over my body again and again as I rested my head against the cool black marble of my shower, closing my eyes I thought about the past few nights where the same routine had been carried out.

I would wake up in cold sweat from a dream that I could not even clearly remember, it almost seemed like a far-off memory where bits and pieces of it had become hazy with time. The only things I could remember was a fire, a huge one where I could almost feel the heat of its flames against my skin as if I was actually being burnt in real life. The second thing was a girl, the first time she appeared in my dreams she had porcelain skin with light hair but after a few days she changed completely, her skin became copper and her hair became raven.

The only memory I had of her besides her appearance was me screaming at her to wake up, that was the last thing I could remember before the fire consumed my vision and I would wake up sweating, just like I had did earlier on. This had been my routine for the past few nights except that now each time the dream got worse, the fire burnt larger and hotter while the girl's screams grew louder and desperate.

The metal handle fogged up as I turned it to cut off the water before heading to the now steamed-filled bathroom. My hand ran across my jawline, feeling the rough texture that was the result of days of neglect. I picked up the razor that rested on a stand near my sink and glanced at my mirror that had now been glazed with a cover of steam. I placed the blade against the skin of my cheek as I used my other hand to wipe away the misty blanket, the razor slipped from my hand as a pair of dark brown eyes stared right at me as if they were staring into my very soul, fire seemed to burn in them as various screams bounded against the walls of my bathroom. I turned around in circles to see no one but yet the screams got louder and louder till I brought my hand down onto the glass. I opened my eyes to see my own grey eyes staring back at me through the cracks in the mirror as blood dripped down from my hand unto my marble floor.

I reached out to grab a small hand towel to press against the cut on my cheek that was a result from my slip of hand before using it for my hand which had been decorated with various lines where the glass had cut it. I abandoned my razor as I walked back to my bed, the marble tiles feeling colder than they were just now as I had not bothered to dry my feet after I came out of the shower, it almost felt as though I was walking on ice.

The screaks of protest from my bed-springs were the only other noise besides my ragged breathing as I plopped onto my bed. My head was in my hands, digging into my scalp as I pulled on my hair, as I sat on the edge of my bed, the only thought that kept running through my mind was that I could not possibly be going crazy, I had a pack to lead and with the situation going on right now with the Black Blood Pack, they needed a strong leader more than ever and with my family scattered all over the place trying to help the packs that had become victims of Damien's cruelty. I was the only Lykos left, the only leader left.