chapter 8

"woo! we finally made it." i cheered as we got to land.

it was actually a lot harder than i thought. we went in circles for a while and when we got to the other end it was harder to get back. but we finally managed.

as we stepped out of the canoe the instructor dismissed us with a high five and we started walking to the lunch cabin since it was around 3pm. when we got to the lunch cabin there wasn't a line so we quickly got our trays and headed to our usual table.

"you guys look horrible." zain giggled as we got to the table.

kyle, harry, and marcus were already there eating their food. they had dirt all over them and leaves sticking out of their hair.

"surviving in the woods is not easy." kyle chuckled and the others groaned in agreement.

i'm really glad i didn't pick that. but it mostly had to do with how much i didn't want to be here. the second day is almost over and i can't wait for tomorrow. if my 3 days ago self saw me they'd be in shock i bet.

"how was the lake?" marcus asked after taking a sip of his juice.

"liam splashed me so it looked like i peed myself." zain pouted and i couldn't help but coo

"we've all done that to him too." harry giggled.

"you all planned it didn't you?" zain asked suspiciously.

"no, we didn't. i'm sorry for splashing you." i rubbed his back softly so he could stop pouting.

"s'okay." he leaned into me and rested his head on my shoulder.

the sparks flew through me at high speeds and i just wanted to pull him closer. i even forgot that we weren't the only ones sitting at the table. i didn't even care, this just felt so right. we fit perfectly with my arm around him and him leaned into me with his head perfectly rested on my shoulder.

"ziam." i got brought back to reality by kyle saying something.

"huh?" i asked and zain sat up and turned to kyle as well.

"ziam." he repeated.

"what is that?" i heard zain ask.

"its your guys name put together." kyle explains.

"yeah, like our names together is marry. kyle 'ships' us or whatever." marcus motions between him and harry.

well this is weird. where is he shipping them? does that mean he's shipping me and zain somewhere?

"attention all campers, there is three hours until sundown. there is also going to be heavy rain tonight so start heading straight to your cabins after your done eating." the voice over the speaker informs us.

"ugh, i hate rain." zain groans as we throw our trash away.

"same." we all groan in agreement as we head toward our cabins.

we get by kyle, harry, and marcus' cabin and we all say our goodbyes as me and zain keep heading to our cabin. as we get there dark clouds start to take over the sky and we both sprint up the status so we don't get rained on.

when we get inside the rain starts to pour and i watch as it does from the window. well, that's summer for you.

"zai-" i turn around to ask zain if he wanted to do something but i can't find him.

the bathroom door is open and the light isn't on, so i don't think he's in there. i move away from the window to start looking for him just as a louder thunder booms from the sky. i hear a scared wimper from beside zains bed and walk over to the source.

"zain?" i see him in a ball on the floor covering his ears to block out the storm.

"zain, c'mere." i kneel down and he immediately jumps into my arms.

we sit on the floor for a few minutes. him holding tightly onto me, me trying to comfort him. it seems to be working though. every thunder that goes his whimpers become quieter and quieter as i try soothing him.

"are they done?" i hear his soft voice ask. there hasn't been any thunder in a few minutes so i think its done by now.

"yeah, i think so." i tell him truthfully.

"okay." he loosens his grip on me and sits in front of me, "wanna do something?"

"sure." i smile at him and he smiles back.

"can we build a fort."he asks with a hint of pleading in his voice.

"of course!" i giggle and get up.

he smiles widely as i help him up. he grabs both blankets and set one on the floor neatly. i watch in awe as he builds a fort like a professional. once it's done he grabs me and pulls me inside of it. he sits me down and then walks out but comes back a few seconds later with two pillows. he hands me one and then sits across from me.

"thank you for comforting me earlier." he says with a blush creeping onto his cheeks.

"glad to do it." i smile and his cheeks grow redder. he's so adorable.

"oh and sorry about niall. i don't know where he came up with ziam or whatever it was." he says and pulls me out of my thoughts.

"don't be sorry. ziam is kinda cute." i blush and he giggles.

"really?" he asks as he stares into my eyes with his beautiful brown ones.

"yeah." i smile and he does the same.

we stay quiet for a while. just staring at each other occasionally. he's so fascinating. i don't know why or how but i'm drawn to him. i don't even mind either. he's just so beautiful. i only wish that he could return my feelings. but that'd be too good to be true.

"can i ask you something?" his voice pulls me from my thoughts.

"of course." i sit up as i wait for his question.

"what are you? like, what's your sexuality? you don't have to answer, i'm just curious.." his answer takes me off guard. i don't know if i should tell him or not. i mean, i want to but what if he feels disgusted? okay, that's unrealistic two of his best friends are dating each other.

"i-i'm gay."

...