'Who Is He?' - Part 31

Hello! Sorry it's been such a long time since my last upload... I am ashamed of myself but a lot of things have been going on and I had a huge case of writer's block! Anyway, if you are reading this thank you so much! Thanks for bearing with me, it means a lot. You may have to read the end of the previous part to jog your memories! I hope you enjoy it.

I could feel my face heating up even more than when Andy said I looked beautiful and I fidgeted awkwardly, not used to such extreme compliments from Dave.

“Sorry,” he said, looking equally awkward.

We made our way into his car as the light outside was beginning to dim. If it was anyone else in the car I would have put the radio on to try and reduce the silence and uneasiness in the car; however I was aware that Dave was not a big fan of music so I sat there gazing out of the window at the ruralness and began to question if his parents lived in some country mansion – it really would not surprise me if I was correct.

“So why am I coming with you?” I asked after about ten minutes in the car.

He shrugged in response.

“I think I ought to know before we walk into the house, in case you spring it on me that we are pretending to be married or something like that.”

“No, don’t worry, I wouldn’t do that.”

“So why am I coming?”

“You ask a lot of questions don’t you? I have my reasons, just pretend we’re in a relationship,” he said, speaking at a very quick pace, as if to try and make me feel that I hadn’t actually heard the last part.

“Why do I need to pretend we’re in a relationship?”

“You’re really starting to piss me off now, just shut up will you?”

“It’s quite a reasonable question,” I muttered under my breath. I felt him turn his attention from the road to my face, though I stayed looking out of the window, avoiding eye contact. I heard him exhale loudly and that was where the conversation ended for the duration of the journey.    

We pulled up outside the house and my assumption had been correct. It wasn’t quite a mansion, but it was close enough. Dave turned the engine off and got out of the car as I gathered my bag and undid my seatbelt. I was about to open my door when someone beat me to it on the other side; Dave stood there, holding the door out for me.

“Thank you, Dave,” I said before giving him a slight smirk, he tried so hard to be a gentleman.

“Please behave yourself, Rebecca,” he said simply, sliding his fingers through mine and led me towards the house.

As we were walking up the path, which was considerably large, it dawned on me that I didn’t know what to expect at all. I wasn’t going to be very convincing if I knew nothing about Dave’s family, when I was supposed to be his girlfriend. This night could only end badly, I was sure of it. I partially felt like I was cheating on Andy just by holding Dave’s hand, even though it was only fake.

“Dave, I know nothing about your family-“

“My brother is Sam, my sister is Emily, my mum is Joanne and my dad is Mark. I’m sure a bit of acting isn’t too much to ask, is it Rebecca? Just follow my lead and don’t be put off by their abruptness or rudeness.”

I was about to question him and start to panic, I wasn’t good under pressure, especially if the people I was trying to impress were difficult to do so. But we’d arrived at the door and Dave had rung the bell and tightened his already firm grip on my hand. I took a deep breath, pulled the hem of my dress down slightly and I was greeted by four pairs of very interested eyes.